News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Passenger cars

Started by Terry Toenges, June 23, 2019, 09:35:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Toenges

When I wish upon a star, I will wish for Bachmann to come out with shorter passenger cars. I wish for world peace, too so I know the odds of either of those happening is about the same. Bachmann is the only one who makes RTR passenger cars in On30. I've been searching. Everything else out there is craftsman kits.
Even a shorter passenger car body that you could design to drop down over a standard flat car would be ok.
Or, just shorten up a pass car body and put it on a freight car chassis with pass trucks.
It would be hard for me to shorten one and get clean cuts and get the sides mated together so the seams wouldn't show.
It is narrow gauge where smaller is better.
Feel like a Mogul.

gmhtrains

Take a look at the laser-cut kits from Mount Blue Model Co. If you take your time and follow the instructions they are not difficult to build. Kits include an RPO, full baggage and combine in addition to passenger-carrying cars. All fit in with Bachmann's 18-foot length cars.

Terry Toenges

I've looked at pretty much all the kits out there - On30IMA, Mount Blue, Wiseman, Slimrails, Deerfield Laser, and Shapeways. Some of those are pretty pricey. I know the Mount Blue ones are $43. I don't really care for the On30IMA ones. They look like box cars with windows. I prefer the clerestory roof. The Wiseman ones are $80. Slimrails' look like On30IMA ones.  Deerfield's short ones are discontinued.
RTR ones would be so much better for me. I hate to try to shorten a Bachmann pass car. People have done it but it could be expensive if I screw it up. I screwed up my first attempt at backdating my Mogul and had to buy another one.
I have a couple other projects I'm attempting now like modifying my turntable and building an engine house out the covered bridges. With those, I'm starting with stuff already made and just doing some alterations.
Someone on another forum suggested that he'd like to see MDC/Roundhouse old timers made in On30. The Sierra shorties would nice in RTR.
Since Bachmann already has the long pass cars, they could just whack out a few windows and make some shorter ones. They are making all these shorty freight cars now. Those egg ones like they made in HO were a little too short for me.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

Alan Carroll has done some good Bachmann pass car mods. If Bachmann could take one from 12 windows down to nine windows, that would be about what I'd like.
http://on30center.com/on30/library/articles/ac/pcbash/pcbash.html
Feel like a Mogul.