Layout details/plans/pictures

Started by TrainshockeylifE, June 24, 2019, 11:49:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrainshockeylifE

Hey everyone, sorry if this is already a topic but I'm planning a big layout and would love to see others' plans or pictures of their layouts so I can use those great ideas and make mine even better and also hope that others can do the same. I also made this for others to showcase their own layouts or plans. Thanks!

Sodor Engineer

I'm making a 4x8 foot layout of the island of sodor in HO scale with the narrow gauge[I have a N scale and HO scale crossing] and need some ideas,

Thomas fan.
I like Stepney and would love to see him in ho scale.

Titanic5972

Whatever size of layout, I would say either Knapford station or Tidmouth sheds would be the focal point of the layout, either in the centre of an oval or along the outer running lines.

Sodor Engineer

TrainshockeylifE

That's what I did, everything is based around Knapford, tidmouth sheds and Brendam Docks.

Sodor Engineer

I was thinking that too but the Bachmann Knapford station is all most a 1/4th the size of 4x8[that's the size of my table]and the Bachmann Tidmouth sheds is not like the tv show.

Sodor Engineer

I was thinking what if I did the Skarloey railway or the blue mountain quarry but I have so much HO scale track the only N scale track I have is a HO and N crossing

Sodor Engineer

So to give you guys an update on my layout I have almost all of the track that I need for the ho line I wired one area of track and three points and made a little hill on the side I am planing to put the windmill there can't wait to here about your layouts.
PS I would show you a picture of my layout but I do not have a camera YET
    thomas fan

Vader6

I am doing a 12-8 layout. My personal plan is to have an incline track going around the first half of the layout with Gordon and his coaches on it. I'm also putting an area for shunting and a lot of connected switch track going along one of the sides of the layout. If your looking for more scenic though I would say that mountains, water, and a background would be awesome. The different Thomas props like Timouth Sheds, Knatford station, and the lighthouse would look great on it.

Sodor Engineer

Vader6,
  My plan is to use all of the Bachmann Thomas and friends items like the windmill,black lock EXC and I have very little space to work with(4x8)so a hill(if I want it to look good)would take up a lot of space but I will do my best to make it look good maybe i'll put a hill in the narrow gauge area but we will have to see about that thanks for reading

thomas fan

Sodor Engineer

New update to my layout I have bought one left point so that I can do the cross over from the inside line to the out side line just waiting for it to arrive so that I can do the cross over,And I am almost done with the control panel just need some more switches thanks for reading.:)

thomas fan

Sodor Engineer

YAY!the point came today I put it in wired it all up and now I have one cross over still need other stuff to finish the layout thanks for reading
    thomas fan

Sodor Engineer

Just now finished the second area of track and wired it and now I can make a train go from the inside track to the outside track,Can't wait to finish it and to hear about your layouts :) thanks for reading.
   thomas fan

Sodor Engineer

Another update on my layout I was using brass track and I had to replace it all(cuz it was rusting so fast)so I will be getting nickel silver track and only one brand of track(cuz I was using Atlas,Tyco and Ahm)so I'm redoing my layout,The lesion for today is DON'T used brass track :P thanks for reading,
  thomas fan.

railtwister

Brass doesn't rust, steel does. Steel track is no better than brass track, maybe even worse. Brass and copper oxidize and turn dark with age, like a copper penny, and can even corrode and turn green. The oxide that forms is a poor conductor, so if your track is brass you'll constantly need to be cleaning it just to keep your trains running. You are correct, nickel silver track is much better than brass, especially for smaller sized trains. Even the brass track used in G-gauge must be cleaned frequently, in spite of that scale making better contact because it is so much heavier.

Bill in FtL