News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Question for Loco Bill

Started by Costonlight, July 02, 2019, 08:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Costonlight

Hi Bill,
I have discovered my remotored Version 3 4-6-0 B&O's front pony truck is broken and breaking electrical contacts. Somewhere, which I can't find and am hoping you know where it is, are some drawings, measurements and instructions posted on how to go about building a replacement that looks fairly similar to the new Bachmann one.
My electrical friend and I are keen to build one of these but neither of us can find the instructions or drawings. We both remember seeing them, but not where!
Thanks,
Peter A Meyer, Australia.

Loco Bill Canelos

Hello Peter,

The only thing I can think of was a truck replacement scheme done by George Schreyer.  George has not updated his info since about 2010, but he does have some good info.  All reference to Barry and Barry's Big Trains are out of date since Barry has retired and I have lost track of him. 

I do not agree with all of Georges statements about the 4-6-0 pilot truck which I believe works fine when the wires are kept clear of the moving parts and the slot the truck moves in is lubed with a little plastic compatible grease.   Almost every problem I have seen regarding the front truck derailing, or been call on to troubleshoot has resulted from either the wiring caught up in the slot, or operating the locomotive on bad track.  Poorly laid track is the primary cause of 4-6-0 derailments.  I cant emphasize this enough, if a steam engine (Bachmann or otherwise) is derailing a lot, but diesel models are not the problem is almost always poorly laid or maintained track.  Over the years I have seen folks do all kinds of modifications to the Big Hauler front truck to keep it from derailing. They put weights on them, and or do other things to them.  These fixes do help if the track is poorly laid, and the owner does not want to improve the track.   You might be shocked if you saw some of the track conditions I have seen.  In one case where the owner called me in to help, the track was so bad that the only thing able to run on it was an eggliner, and even that derailed from time to time.  When I told him the track was the reason his other equipment derailed all the time, he was completely insulted, and I was never invited back.

I have said all this so that other readers might understand the importance of well laid track.  It is the key to the enjoyment of our hobby.

I have philosophized enough so back to your question!  Having said all that I am adding a link to Georges website at a point where he discusses and shows modifications to the front truck in the hopes it is what you are looking for:

http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips1/big_hauler_tips.html#derailments

All the best, and good luck with your project.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Costonlight

Once again Bill, thank you. That's what I was after, Pete. Will let you know how we go.

Loco Bill Canelos

OK Pete,

We will look forward to your progress and results!

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!