Found dad's N scale Jupiter set, don't know how to work it

Started by HSBman, June 29, 2019, 11:27:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HSBman

HI
I'm new to N scale sets, having found my dad's Old Timer Jupiter locomotive, tender and a few freight cars, along with track and a blue transformer.  Seems everything hooks up OK, but when I dial the transformer, the tender makes whirring noises, but nothing moves.  Having much more experience with O gauge Lionel, I thought the locomotive pulled the train, and just setting it on the track would make it go.  Am I missing something or is the locomotive not working properly?  Any help/suggestions, or directions to instructions on this website would be appreciated.Thanks!

spookshow

The motor lives inside the tender and there's supposed to be a plastic driveshaft connecting the motor to the worm gears inside the engine. Sounds like yours is missing its driveshaft. Depending on which version of the 4-4-0 you have, it would look like one of these -

-Mark

Franz T

The 4-4-0 has the motor in the tender; with a drive shaft connecting the tender to the back of the cab. Apparently the drive shaft has gone missing on your loco; the whirring noise you hear is the motor happily spinning away, unfortunately it is not connected to the drive wheels.
Check out Mark's website for more info: http://www.spookshow.net/loco/bach440a.html
This loco has been around forever and there have been quite a few changes to the mechanism over the years; So I really can't tell you offhand how to go about finding that part (unless it is still in the box the loco was stored in); you might try calling B'mann's Customer Service Dept on Monday.
Sorry that I can't be of more help.

Looks like Mark beat me to it... ;D