News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO Spectrum 2-10-2

Started by Bill Hansen, July 02, 2019, 04:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Hansen

Have had an HO Spectrum 2-10-2 for 5 years.  Been running it on a DC system. Recently the reverse operation has failed; forward operation continues to be OK.

Any ideas for troubleshooting the problem?

Flare

Does this happen with other locomotives using the same controller?

Bill Hansen

No. Forward and reverse is operational on all other locomotives.

WoundedBear

It's DCC "ready" or "equipped" right? Would a bad decoder or loose dummy plug cause an issue like this? I know you run it on DC, but a DCC "equipped" will have it's decoder and a "ready" model will have the dummy plug.

Sid

Flare

Quote from: WoundedBear on July 05, 2019, 04:01:00 PM
It's DCC "ready" or "equipped" right? Would a bad decoder or loose dummy plug cause an issue like this? I know you run it on DC, but a DCC "equipped" will have it's decoder and a "ready" model will have the dummy plug.

Sid

If either direction works I doubt it's a wiring problem because the motor turns, I don't see how reversing the polarity would change anything.

However, if the loco does have a decoder it may have developed a glitch:  Resetting the decoder to factory settings would probably fix it.

Bill, try taking the loco to a shop with a DCC system.  In most decoders, programing CV8 to 8 will initiate the reset.

Otherwise there may be a mechanical explanation, perhaps something has come loose or broken off and is now rubbing against a gear?

rich1998

Here is the diagram of the loco, DCC on board or analog version in case you do not have this diagram.
I am not sure what would do this yet.

https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/H833X-IS001.PDF

Rich