Hoping for a hand diagnosing a 2-8-0's binding motion

Started by Irbricksceo, July 03, 2019, 04:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irbricksceo

So I recently got a decent deal on a supposed new Sound value 2-8-0. Only catch? Untested.

Well it arrived and wouldnt ya know, it doesnt run. The motion binds on the wheels. I've determined that it is infact the Motion, the motor and worm spin fine.

I CAN return it, but i'd kinda like to fix it as i'm fond of the 2-8-0's and the two i have just arent enough! Only problem is, i cannot for the life of me figure out WHY its binding. The rods dont seem to be impacting and the axle slots are clear. to my untrained eyes, it should work. but it dont.

SO, i have pictures of the rods in the worst spot (it catches roughly every quarter turn, but this is the spot that it cant be forced past while rotating "fowards", it CAN be forced though with effort if rotating backwards). I also have a short video displaying the binding. I'm HOPING somebody can make a suggestion as to what might be causing it, if they see something wrong that I missed.

https://imgur.com/gallery/6RzKrMM

Thanks for the help you can provide,Sincerely - Bricks

Modeling NYC in N

dutchbuilder

have you checked the quartering of the wheels?
The rod connections should be 90 deg rotated to the opposite wheels.
If that is off you get binding.

Ton

Irbricksceo

Quote from: dutchbuilder on July 03, 2019, 04:43:37 PM
have you checked the quartering of the wheels?
The rod connections should be 90 deg rotated to the opposite wheels.
If that is off you get binding.

Ton

That was exactly it, the front axle was slightly out of quarter. it never even occured to me that that could happen to a model. I lightly twisted it until i felt it was in the right spot and voila, now it runs fine. not bad for 65 bucks.
Modeling NYC in N

Irbricksceo

Follow up question, i noticed circular cutouts in the axle wells that seem to match the spring-mounted axles supports i remember seeing in my russian 2-10-0 when i fixed it last. Is this model supposed to have those? as you can see in the picture, they are not present, and the parts diagram doesnt explode the lower assembly. basically, did this run ommit them or are they missing. i'm baically trying to find out if this model has been opened before because depsite looking like new, i cant figure out how the axle would have gotten twisted.

it runs fine so if hte part IS supposed to be there, its still running fine, just curious
Modeling NYC in N

dutchbuilder

Your guess is as good as mine.
Maybe the prototype had springs and they omitted them in the production model for costs reasons.....who knows.

Ton

rich1998

Great troubleshooting.
I have read in many forums that this is a fine loco.

Rich

Irbricksceo

Quote from: rich1998 on July 04, 2019, 02:04:18 PM
Great troubleshooting.
I have read in many forums that this is a fine loco.

Rich

Oh yes, I quite like it, I already had two and this will add another to my fleet. Its nice looking, looks decent on both the 18 and 22 curves on my little 4*8 (well, as nice as one CAN look on 18), and is the only steamer in my collection that can really pull the 4 old athearn coaches that make up my passenger set (they dont roll real well).

I'm still curious how the wheel got twisted, but it seems to be holding up fine. i've run it for a few hours now with no signs of returning to that prior state.
Modeling NYC in N