Just scored a Jingle Bell Express

Started by jerry w in FL, July 08, 2019, 03:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerry w in FL

Just scored a Jingle Bell Express from a local Hospice thrift store (50% off Christmas in July sale  ;D) for only $20.  It's missing the track but has the power pack, speed control & all cars.  Still a great steal even without the track.
Only thing is is the caboose is missing 1 axle on the front wheel truck. Tried searching the site for a replacement axle or entire truck but cant seem to spot one. Anybody know the part number for either the truck or just axle?
It's HO scale, plastic wheel. i've got a train repair place nearby but i know this is a part i can replace myself.
Thanks in advance,
Jerry W - Largo, FL

jerry w in FL

Thanks Sid.  Will grab it for sure. Might be kinda cool to have a flash of metal at the end!
BTW - since the set didnt have any track i couldnt test it in the store.  Hospice is really good about testing stuff (if they can) & marking it good or "parts only", but i usually test anything electronic for my own piece of mind.  Actually i remember back when Good Will used to repair stuff before putting it on the shelf - now they just throw a price tag on it & buyer beware.
i set up a temp short track, plugged in the power pack & speed control that came with it & everything works fine - even the light on the engine.  Zipped around the track!
For now i'm gonna integrate it on the same track as my On30 Wonderland Express even tho the scales are noticeably different. Once i get another On30 Christmas train, i'll give the Jingle Bell one to my sister who has a village more in line with the HO scale.
Thanks again for the link & have a great week.
Jerry W - Largo, FL

Flare

Jerry,

It might be a good idea to replace all of the plastic wheels with metal ones since plastic leaves a buildup on the rails, requiring more frequent track cleaning.

dutchbuilder

I had it the other way around with my old Athern cars.
They picked up so much gunk on the wheels that they spontaneously derailed .
But that was a long long time ago.

Ton

Flare

Quote from: dutchbuilder on July 09, 2019, 04:06:48 PM

Ton

Were those metal or plastic wheels?

Another advantage to metal wheels is they'll have more weight holding them to the track around turns and the center of gravity will be lower.

Len

The old Athearn cars used sintered metal wheels that were dirt magnets. You'd have to scrape them off with the edge of a screw driver. Not like modern turned wheels at all.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jerry w in FL

Thanks for all the input. Sounds like i should probably replace the plastic wheels where i can on both trains. I'd think the metal sound on the metal rains would sound more realistic too.  Cars will be pretty easy, any on loco's might be another kettle of fish.

Once all set up, i doubt i'll be running them that often - just now & then. So hopefully track & wheel cleaning will be cut to a minimum.  Everything on the village is Alexa controlled, down to each individual animated building (to prolong their life cycle). Bulbs are easy to replace (tho all led so hopefully not soon) - $50-100 buildings arent!!

BTW - i read that a light hair clipper oil is one of the top options for track cleaning. Just a drop or two on a cotton cloth rubbed across the rails. Let me know if that's a bad idea cause i have hard enough time with the wheels in my head spinning, let alone those on my trains!!
Thanks again to all...
Jerry W - Largo, FL

dutchbuilder

Quote from: Flare on July 09, 2019, 06:39:01 PM
Quote from: dutchbuilder on July 09, 2019, 04:06:48 PM

Ton

Were those metal or plastic wheels?

Another advantage to metal wheels is they'll have more weight holding them to the track around turns and the center of gravity will be lower.

plastic

Woody Elmore

Wahl clipper oil will help keep the track clean. A little bit on a Q tip is really all you need. Also, ditch the plastic wheels.