Retaintion bar between engine and tender on 4-4-0 engine

Started by Al Silverstein, July 11, 2019, 11:22:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al Silverstein

I am looking for two parts for a 4-4-0 UP engine with sound. The Bachmann office indicates they do not have the parts available and suggested this forum as a place that might be able to help.

The parts that I need are the MT07 bar and 10628 screw that are used to link the tender to the engine.

The engine was dropped and the two parts went flying and could not be found.

This engine was a gift by a friend of mine to his 13 year old grandson.

I can install the bar and screw if I can obtain them.

Bachmann wants $40 to repair the engine.

Any help in locating the above two parts would be appreciated.

Please contact me via private email if you can be of some assistance in the locating and purchase of these to parts.

Al Silverstein

silversteina@cfl.rr.com

rich1998

First of all, take your email off the message. That is not private email. The whole world can see your email address, even if not signed into the forums.

There are some who run software called "Bots" that look for email addresses to sed malware for Spam or Hacking. Keep your email active in your profile. Only those here who are registered can see it when signed in.

You can make one of those out of styrene.
The screw will be Metric. You could tap for SAE but I would be careful.
I have a tool to find out the Metric size.
Laptops PC's have small Metric screws but could be too long.
I have done other models with Metric but I have been a mechanic for many years.
Some here like Hminky might know. He has this engine.
Good luck. Best I could do. I have the older loco and the bar could work. Not sure I could find it. The screw would be SAE though. USA made.

Rich

Trainman203

The correct name for this part is "drawbar".  There are drawbars available for other Bachmann engines, one would surely work, search the parts page.  I wouldn't be surprised if one of the screws would work too.

rich1998

Quote from: Trainman203 on July 11, 2019, 02:48:33 PM
The correct name for this part is "drawbar".  There are drawbars available for other Bachmann engines, one would surely work, search the parts page.  I wouldn't be surprised if one of the screws would work too.

It might be some effort but look through part numbers.
Still, Hminky might show up. He has this new loco loco. Look for his profile. The OP could email him or PM him. He does not always look at the forums.

Rich

Trainman203

Someone at the service department may know the compatible drawbar and screw.  They've always been very polite and helpful when I called.

Terry Toenges

I see that they show that the drawbar is sold out. They are not showing the screw as being sold out.
https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1175
If you could get the correct screw, could you take a piece of plastic and drill a couple of holes in it and make your own?
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

I asked a friend if he had anything and this is what he responded:
"Aww, I was hoping I did... I do have an extra drawbar for a Bachmann 4-4-0... but not for the sound one. (the extra I have is for the tender driven, while the sound 4-4-0 are loco driven, and a different size) HOWEVER... that said... the 4-4-0 Richmond drawbar is compatible.
I had to do that with my Baldwin 4-4-0...
https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68_157&products_id=10552
and it's in stock.
He may have to cut it down, but if not (and probably not) the hole he wants to use is the second hole (inside hole) and not the first (outside hole)
But that's the proper size, and shape, and will do the trick.
As for the screw... any hardware store should have it..."
Feel like a Mogul.