News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Speedi Driver Cleaner

Started by Terry Toenges, July 11, 2019, 01:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Toenges

I was looking in an old tool box for my rail nipper and found this Speedi Driver Cleaner that I had long forgotten about. Any thoughts on using these? I know people advise against using abrasive things. This is like using a wire brush on the drivers.
Feel like a Mogul.

rich1998

I have read some messages against using them in the trains.com forms the past few years.
Liquid cleaners only. No abrasives.

Rich

jonathan

I have one of these. Haven't used it in a very long time.  The brushes are a very soft metal; brass-like.  It does just okay.  One advantage: it's quick and does clean up the drivers well enough to run the loco. Didn't seem to scratch the driver wheels. Can be used trackside by clipping to mainline rails or similar. Also, you don't have to figure out how to apply power while cleaning at the same time.

Disadvantage: useless on steamer tender wheels.  Honestly, using cloth and toothpicks with some alcohol cleans better, I think.

Regards,

Jonathan

rich1998

At one time one version had coarse brushes many years ago.

Rich

Flare

I'm not a fan of abrasive methods, I much prefer the concept of Woodland Scenics' "Roto Wheel Cleaner" which lets the wheels spin against felt pads.

https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/item/TT4561

dutchbuilder

Abrasive?
Depends on which metal is the hardest, the track or the brush.
In this case it is the track.
The track we usually use is made of Alpaca, also a copper alloy.
Brass is also a copper alloy but is softer than alpaca.
So you could say that the track is abrasive to the brass brush.

Ton

Terry Toenges

I was inclined not to use it because these brushes are real stiff. I probably bought in the late 90's. I haven't needed it in all these years so I guess I won't start now. I like that W S one. I might buy one of those.
Feel like a Mogul.

Flare

Quote from: Terry Toenges on July 11, 2019, 03:01:28 PM
I was inclined not to use it because these brushes are real stiff. I probably bought in the late 90's. I haven't needed it in all these years so I guess I won't start now. I like that W S one. I might buy one of those.

Another option is Proses' "HO/OO Rolling Road w/Drive Wheel Cleaning"

https://proses.com/prestashop/tools-testers-cradles-rolling-roads-/35-hooo-rolling-road-wdrive-wheel-cleaning.html

It's expensive, but may be a good buy if you don't already have some of Bachmann's E-Z Riders with ball bearings, since it comes with enough for 6 axles.

WoundedBear

Sure glad I can play trains and not need these expensive gadgets. A Q-tip and dipped in Windex seems to work for me.

You have to do it to clean non-driven wheels anyways, so why add another step? By the time you get something like that rolling road set-up, I'll have two steamers totally cleaned.

Sid

Trainman203

Windex works?  Great to know.  Bachmann sells " track cleaning fluid" that looks just like windex. 😂😂

I've always spun my steam engine drivers on a paper towel soaked with isopropyl alcohol.  Works great.  Then you roll the tender trucks back and forth over a clean part of the towel.  Then I put the engine upside down in a foam cradle and blow out around the driver wipers with computer keyboard spray-air. You would believe the woofies that come out.  All of this almost always takes care of things.  Once in a while you need to take the tender truck phosphor bronze wipers and clean the axle rub points.

WoundedBear

;D I clean train wheels with Windex, I clean my race car with Windex, I clean my bathroom with Windex lol.

It's a versatile little concoction  ;D

Sid