News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Best way to quiet EZ Track

Started by Irbricksceo, July 13, 2019, 02:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irbricksceo

So, after QUITE a long time idling, i have the funds set aside to move forward with my layout and actually start adding scenery and such. Now, one thing i have to do is actually fasten down my track, and I used EZ track when i set it all up like four years ago. were i to do it again i'd likely use regular track as i imagine making the too-high EZ track look good is gonna be a task, but its what I used soo, it is what it is. That said, one thing i'd really like to accomplish is to deaden the noise caused by the big empty space. My first thought was some kind of expanding foam, but then i thought that that would likely lift the track causing issues, has anybody found a good material to use to reduce the dead space and therefore the noise?
Modeling NYC in N

Terry Toenges

In the past, I have used the rubberized shelf liner with the holes in it. It makes a big difference. I just cut out strips for under where the track will be and use white glue to attach them. When I put the track down, I just use drops of white glue on either side of the track every foot or so. The liner also comes in different colors. On the one I'm getting ready to build now, I'm thinking about maybe just putting some foam tape  (Like the tape you buy for insulating windows and doors) under each piece as I lay it and see how that works.
Feel like a Mogul.

Hunt

Be aware some rubberized shelf liner and tool box liner is not plastic or foam board compatible.

Terry Toenges

The shelf liner I always bought at Walmart and the stuff they have has never given me a problem with the pink styrofoam or the E-Z track. I used it for years.
Feel like a Mogul.

bbmiroku

I have a fairly cheap and very effective way of reducing track noise.

Cardboard, like from boxes.

Just regular corrugated cardboard, cut to fit the full width of the roadbed.

Trainman203

Ballasting track is a wet process.  Corrugated cardboard underneath the track will soak up the wetting agent and compress or deform.

CLaneOn30Annual

When I did the EZ Track book, I used thin soft foam under the roadbed of the track. Quick, cheap and effective. Likely not as effective as the full underlayment above, but good for most applications.

In my experience, the method used to fasten the track to the board makes a huge difference. On some of the layouts, I used full strength artist medium to attach the track, and all things being equal, those were noticeably quieter.

Chris Lane
Chris Lane
Editor - On30 Annual

Terry Toenges

Chris - Can you elaborate on "artist medium"? Brand name or what type of product is it? When I Google "artist medium" I get different types of artist mediums as in the type the artist is using like water color or oils. Nothing about a product called "artist medium".
Feel like a Mogul.

Irbricksceo

Solid suggestions folks, i like the shelf liner idea, assuming it can be fastened to the pink foam decently (I had exected a need to fill the empty space would be required, neat to know that an underlayer will do it). i may pick up some to test
Modeling NYC in N

Terry Toenges

Thanks Sid.
Irbricksceo  - I just use white glue to fasten the shelf liner. Sometimes, I just lay a couple lines of glue where the liner will go, then press the liner onto it. Another way I've done it is to lay the liner down and dribble the glue over it so it sinks down in the holes in the liner to the foam. Both ways worked for me.
Feel like a Mogul.

CLaneOn30Annual

Terry, I use Dick Blick brand, but they are all basically the same. It is a acrylic material that cleans up with water, but once it sets, it is impervious to liquid, yet remains somewhat flexible.

Artists use it to add body to paint, so that they can build up areas off the artboard. It comes in gloss, matte and semi-gloss. I just by gloss as I can use it for water, but if it is diluted for gluing ballast, the water kills the shine. The EZ track was bonded at full strength.

Chris Lane
Chris Lane
Editor - On30 Annual