Replacing the Cylinder Assembly for a two truck shay

Started by Waikiki968, July 17, 2019, 08:54:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waikiki968

Hello all,

Does anyone have advice on replacement of the cylinder assembly (https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69_629&products_id=555&zenid=ff07k64hss4jgsassdj5ouo5h2) on a 36-ton shay? 
I removed the two screws but it looks like the cab will have to come off as well--is that the case?

Thanks in advance
Keith

Joe Zullo

According to Dave Goodson...

"Remove engine (cylinder assy) from locomotive.

This is accomplished by removing the lower firebox cover (2 screws), disconnecting drive shafts, and removing two Phillips head screws between the cylinders. Rotate two "lugs" inside firebox until they align with the slots, and carefully work the engine away from the chassis. Pull pin connected to link shaft arm out of cab floor."

Waikiki968

Keith

superdog404

I have 2 3 truck Shays. G scale. The first one I bought about a year ago maybe a little more. This one broke the crankshaft right by the coupling to the 3rd truck. When I removed the 3 cylinders set. I took out the 2 tiny screws that Dave Goodson talked about. The cylinders more or less fall out. Seeing how Bachmann had completely missed lining up the tabs on the inside above the fire box cover. I called Bachmann Tech support asking if they would sent me a new cylinder setup since I am sure that the crankshaft broke from not having those tabs aligned and tight. I sent pictures on a second attempt to get a new set. Bachmann tech declined my request.
I bought another 3 Truck Shay about a month ago and decided to check the inside tabs. It was the same way as my first. WRONG, WRONG WROBG!!! I reversed the tabs and tightened the cylinder down. Now it doesn't move. I would say that anyone with a Shay should check out what I found and fix it if you wish.

mickeykelley

Does the service dept still repair these if you go through the the time and expense to ship it back?  Can you get an answer before going to all this trouble?

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Guys,

The only way to be sure the service department will do the repair is to contact them and discuss  the situation.  In one case I know of the loco was long out of production and no parts were available to do a repair.   Having said that the service department has often gone out of their way to help folks out as reported here on the forum.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

cipt

How difficult is it to pull link pin out from cab?
The replacement assembly link pin has slot in it, therefore wondering if there is a matchup inside cab area/