News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ Track Layouts End of an Era

Started by CLaneOn30Annual, July 18, 2019, 01:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CLaneOn30Annual

I noted that the E-Z Model Railroads book is still cataloged in the new version and that pleases me to no end. I am happy that the book has enjoyed the shelf life it has and new modelers are still finding it helpful.

With that, I need to give an update on the fate of the layouts featured in that book, as the last of the scenicked ones that I had, the Iowa Central is no more. It was pulled from my garage to check for a potential plumbing issue (luckily none was found), but once out the decision was made to dismantle it. I had used it off and on as a test track, but hadn't for several years and I needed the space. This layout was displayed at several of the early World's Greatest Hobby shows, and its simple framing and foam construction proved to be light yet rigid. But it was no match for the sledgehammer and Sawzall. I had keep this one, as even though it was simple, it provided good operational possibilities and was easily expandable. It was one of the better designs in the book.

My favorite was not a layout at all, but the diorama used for the cover photo. I love that one because it showed how you could take simple foam and stock E-Z Track and end up with a completely realistic layout. The rocks are carved foam, the stream was Woodland Scenics water products, (since improved!) and a mix of commercial trees. Obviously, the sky was Photoshopped in, but the rest is exactly as it was modeled. I keep this for a bit because I was really happy with the concept and scenery execution, but it was good only for that photo and I disposed of it years ago.

The opposite was the Pelican Cove Railway. This layout was really neat in person, but it didn't photograph well for the book. If I remember correctly, it was a combination of scenery coloring with a camera I later found had the white balance mis-calibrated. The result was a much darker appearing than it actually was layout. This layout was given to my neighbor, as I needed space for other layouts in the book. He enjoyed it for a time and passed it on to a handicapped gentlemen, who to the best of my knowledge, still has it.

The Midwest Quarry layout resided with my friend George, the king of the mini-layouts for a number of years, and we'd run it whenever I was over at his place. Eventually he ran out of space, and with a desire to build more new mini-layouts, the Midwest was recycled.

Chris Lane
Chris Lane
Editor - On30 Annual