News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

bachmann GS4 STANDARD 4-8-4- MOTOR wanted

Started by dougal89, July 19, 2019, 05:52:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dougal89

Hi, I have been given a Southern Pacific GS4 4-8-4 standard steam loco`(non runner) to repair ready for our sales day here at the Ipswich Railway Modellers Association in  Ipswich, Suffolk, England.
After servicing the motor and bench testing i found the motor runs very hot to the point of almost melting the white plastic casing motor body.
Does anyone know where I can obtain a replacement  motor please.
It`s a beautiful loco (old?) and would love to see it running again.
Any information will be gratefully received.
Dougal.  

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Trainman203

They still make and sell these GS4's.  You probably have an old one.  The new ones are probably better.  I'd sell this one as-is, if you intend to sell it, as a repair/parts item. Someone will want it, but at a low price, which doesn't matter because it was free to you. Then, if you really want one that runs, buy a newer one is is certain to be a better engine with less wear, etc etc.

The name of the game in today's model railroad world is replacement, not repair.  It is no longer the world of our model railroading fathers where parts were eternally and totally available, and engines were easily repaired, like the Zamac pot metal Varneys and Mantuas were.

MKA

Are the motors for all 4-8-4 engines ( SP, UP) the same?  If they are I may be to help you.