News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-6-0 big hauler

Started by cosmo3, July 23, 2019, 01:24:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cosmo3

I recently bought a used 4-6-0 big hauler. The pilot truck does not keep constant contact with the track cause the engine to derail. I roll of quarters in the smoke stack fixes the problem. I am wondering if the root cause is the pilot truck spring needs replacing? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Cosmo3,

The spring is usually OK, unless previous owner or you adjusted it in some way.  The most common problems is that the wires connected to the pilot truck may have become entangled in the spring or be caught in the pivot slot. Be sure the wires are pushed up ot of the way. I always use a little plastic compatible grease on the slot to keep it moving freely. if you use any weight do not put it in the smoke box as that will not work. If you are using weight at all use epoxy to fasten it to the truck itself directly over the wheels.

The truck should not need weight if adjusted properly. If you continue to have problems, be sure your track is well laid and maintained. Bad track is most often the problem when derailments are frequent.

Have Fun,

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Kevin Strong

Check how far the front truck hangs down relative to the drivers. It may be that it is at the end of its up-and-down travel when it's even with the rails. If that's the case, all the weight in the world won't do much since it can't go down any lower. Ideally, it should be able to hang down 1/8" or so lower than the rails so it stays in firm contact on uneven track. The solution to that problem is to lengthen the post which holds the truck in place. Some folks use washers, others cut a short length of plastic tubing the same diameter as what's there already. The stock screw should be long enough to hold the extension firmly in place on the truck.

Note that the latest generation 4-6-0 (the one with the brass gears) has a different support mechanism for holding the front truck in place.

Later,

K