Dead End Siding to store 2nd train

Started by dcipowski, July 27, 2019, 05:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcipowski

I wish to purchase anHO remote switch track #44561 for a dead end siding to store a second train. Will I need a second terminal track to turn the power off and on for the siding?

Is the remote HO switch track #44561 the same size as a 9" straight track #44511 and a 18" radius curved track #44501?

Will I need extra short tracks to add the remote switch track #44561?

Thanks
Larry

Flare

The straight part of the #44561 turnout is equal to a #44511 straight section, but the diverging route is longer than a #44511 18" curve.

I placed an 18" curve on top of a #44561 turnout:  The curvature is identical, but I measured just over 1.25 inches of extra track left over above the straight section.

If you replace a #44511 straight with the #44561 turnout, you will not need extra short tracks.

However, in order to isolate the siding electrically, you will need to use a a #44597 9" straight segment with gaps built-into the rails and a pair of power connectors underneath.

(Or you can cut the rails yourself to electrically isolate your siding and use a second terminal track for power.)

jward

To turn the power off you will need a switch of some sort, wired into one of the  power wires connected to the siding. Would recommend you google "block control wiring" for illustrated instructions on how to do this. Learn it, because this is one of the most basic wiring jobs on a layout. It is NOT hard, no matter what others may say. This is also a good time to learn some basic wire splicing and soldering skills.

Note: if you elect to wire this yourself instead of trying to adapt the EZ track connectors to fit this situation, you will only need a gap in ONE rail, and a simple on-off switch wired to that rail.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Trainman203

DCC makes all of the above unnecessary.

Len

Only if you don't mind idle locos sitting on a siding with their decoders still pulling power. It's still best for the power supply and the decoder to be able to turn the power off to a siding with a loco on it that isn't being used. Especially on a larger layout, with mulitple locos.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Trainman203

I have NCE pro cab wireless.  I've had 6 engines on the layout at once and never had a problem.  6 is a lot for one operator but I go back and forth between different yards and trains held out on the line.