News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Stepney or Ryan?

Started by TerencetheTractor525, July 28, 2019, 11:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TerencetheTractor525

Stepney and Ryan are the two most popular engines that Bachmann Thomas fans want to see made after Daisy. Thus, I thought that it would be a good idea to make a new thread discussing these two engines, giving the Bachmann reps a very clear idea of why announcing one of the two for February 2020 would be a very smart idea, even if it seems unlikely at first glance.

Personally, I am on Team Stepney :).

The number one reason why I believe that it would be best to announce Stepney in February 2020 (and before Ryan) is that 2020, Thomas' 75th Anniversary, might be the one reason that would allow Bachmann to make an engine who has not appeared in the CGI Series. The 75th Anniversary is a time to glorify golden figures of Thomas' past, and Stepney is no exception. He is such a charming and nostalgic engine who has constantly been a popular suggestion among fans. Additional reasons have been stated by many Bachmann Thomas fans, so I'll leave this link here: https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,34526.75.html
The entire page is full of reasons as to why Stepney would be a great candidate.

Ryan, on the other hand, is much bigger, which means that he would be more expensive to make. He also includes more small parts than Stepney, so I think that announcing an engine who would cost more money to make, and is less popular next, does not make sense. Even so, Ryan and Daisy essentially go together. Hence, the profit that would be received from Daisy and Stepney as well as the UK should allow Ryan to get announced in a later year.

Moreover, I firmly believe that an HO Stepney should be even more of a priority than Narrow Gauge Sir Handel or even an N Scale James as far as new toolings are concerned for February 2020. Considering that Sir Handel has appeared in the CGI Series, he could get announced at any other point, just like Ryan. The same can be stated for the N Scale James. The only other new tooling that currently stands in front is the narrow gauge brake van due to the amount of discussion there has been on it, and that the narrow gauge carriages have finally been revealed too.

Even if announcing Stepney in February 2020 means that he would have to be delayed like Oliver, I'm sure fans would be willing to wait. It's much better to have such a sought-after engine who has not appeared in the CGI series get announced, but then delayed because of a special anniversary, than not get made at all.

Now, if the licencor is still against producing Stepney due to the fact that he has not appeared in the CGI series, even if it is the 75th Anniversary, I think that they are forgetting that most parents of young children who are only familiar with the current characters will generally only buy a Bachmann Thomas starter set, and few of the other main engines and rolling stock. The Bachmann Thomas HO line currently has over twenty engines, most of whom have had main roles in the CGI series. And the average parent would not buy all the engines, considering how expensive they are and that there are cheaper alternatives. It is only the serious Thomas fans who will buy all the engines. In fact, one of my friends who grew up watching the late model series on television (seasons 8, 9, 10, 11) did not know who Stepney was as a kid, but because he never lost interest in Thomas, he discovered the older episodes on YouTube that included Stepney and realized how much charm there is to the episodes that involved him. He didn't grow up with the original seasons, yet he still thought they were better. That's why he even wants to see Stepney get made before any newer character, including Ryan. As a result, at this point, it's not about if the engine is currently in the show. It's about the engine itself and how many people there are who would like to see it made. From this thinking, more profit will be received, which means that more exciting products can get made later on, not just for the Thomas line, but Bachmann Trains altogether. 

That's why I think that announcing Stepney for February 2020 would be a very smart move.

Lastly, here are some questions:
Are you on Team Stepney or Team Ryan? Why?
Do you agree that announcing one of the two for February 2020 is a wise move, even if it meant that the completion of the model would be delayed?

Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

thomasj219

I don't think I need to tell anyone that I'm definitely team Stepney.

I like Ryan as well.  But Stepney is just more of a character. Plus he's a classic.
I'd love to see him coming down the line with a few red coaches behind him.

Certain characters have such a demand that even if they have not come back and CGI I feel they have a chance.  With the 75th anniversary around the corner  Stepney's have never been higher. Plus we'd get a model face!

Please Bachmann, do us another favor and make Stepney next.

And while you're at it update the resin range and use Duncan's Model design.

But more on that later..... ;)
All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Harvey.

JLK2707

Team Ryan, as he is just too good to be without Daisy! :)

Trainboy 48

Team Ryan, I'm placing bets on Ryan cuz without him Daisy wouldn't have anyone to run the Harwick Branch Line.
Wishlist for Bachmann to make HO Scale Engines: Sidney, Samson and Porter.
Wishlist for Bachmann to make Narrow Gauge Engines: Victor and Mille.

Sodor Engineer

I,m 100% on team Stepney cuz i've bin wanting him for a long time and the Hornby Stepney is so rare and if Bachmann made him he would have moving eyes but Ryan is new and in the CGI show and Dasiy is going to be made so Ryan is good idea but i would like Stepney.
I like Stepney and would love to see him in ho scale.

Cheeky_ULP

I would say do Stepney first. Stepneys classic design is more market-able and memorable. A CGI design risks alienating the older audience (aka the people with actual money in their wallets) who are the main people who would even care about a character like Stepney. Ryan meanwhile, is a safe gamble that could be produced any time, any year in the new future and would have roughly the same outcome and reception, and only one design to pick from. Stepney is a ticking clock, depending if Mattel decides to bring him back or not.

steakandcake

While I do think Stepney would be the best option as the next character with a new mold, I do think that Ryan should be considered for production after Stepney. First of all, Ryan is a newer character which means he would be more recognizable to younger fans. Speaking of recognizability, if Ryan was produced, his purple livery would certainly stand out among other characters, as there are currently no purple engines in the range. Finally, with Daisy getting announced, Ryan would be a great choice to follow up on, because as we all know, they share a branch line.

While I do think Stepney is the absolute go-to next new character, I thought it would be good to mention why Ryan would be good to come after Stepney.

DucktheGWREngine08

Team Ryan because MATTEL WILL NOT LET BACHMANN MAKE ANY CHARACTERS THAT ARE NOT IN THE CURRENT SEASEASONS.

Falcon the 2nd

Stepney has my pick. All shared reasons considered, it's easy to see why he is an utterly perfect choice for a new HO tooling in 2020. I would hope Mattel remains open to letting Bachmann produce characters that have been gone for ages, if last year's Spiteful Brakevan is anything to go by.

If we end up getting Ryan as a new tooling, I'll welcome him with open arms too. Either character is fine, though Stepney would be a greater choice for the long run. :)
Wishlists:
HO Scale - Stepney, Tar Tanker
N Scale - Henry, Mavis, Milk Tanker, Brake Van

TerencetheTractor525

Quote from: DucktheGWREngine08 on July 29, 2019, 08:12:09 PM
Team Ryan because MATTEL WILL NOT LET BACHMANN MAKE ANY CHARACTERS THAT ARE NOT IN THE CURRENT SEASEASONS.

Well, Bachmann did make the Spiteful Brake Van, but even if your argument is that Bachmann will not make classic engines with new toolings that have not appeared in the CGI series, this tells me that you did not read what I posted above carefully. Please do when you get the chance  :-\.

Anyways, thank you to everyone who has already posted who they would prefer to see made first. For those who are on Team Ryan, I completely understand that Ryan is Daisy's main companion in the CGI series, but remember that he could be made at any point, whereas Stepney is something that would be very special for the 75th Anniversary.

Lastly, let's remember that in the fall of 2014, a Bachmann Thomas fan asked Doug Blaine if Oliver is being planned for 2015: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TBl1e0wWbRU
Mr. Blaine said that there were no plans for Oliver yet, but Oliver and Toad were still announced in 2015. Therefore, as long as Bachmann acts quickly with the licensor, I'm sure that announcing Stepney for February 2020 would be possible  :).
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

Chaz

Quote from: DucktheGWREngine08 on July 29, 2019, 08:12:09 PM

There are better ways to express your views on this forum rather than yelling at people in your post with caps lock on.  I would encourage you to think about that as well as taking the time to read Terence's post a lot more carefully about why he thinks Stepney should be made.

Anyways, definitely more in favor of Stepney than Ryan.  I agree he should take priority for a new tooling over anything else Bachmann announces, with the exception of narrow gauge brake vans.  Hopefully once Daisy is nearing completion or is released Bachmann would then be able to pull off another new tooling that will give them strong sales like how Daisy would and there really is no better candidate than Stepney for many reasons stated earlier including the link that was posted earlier, which also shows my in-depth thoughts for him. 
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

steakandcake

Honestly, it doesn't matter to me who gets made first. I just hope we don't get Sidney.

Sodor Engineer

I just looked at the wiki pages and found merchandise for Stepney and there is like nothing so it would be great if Bachmann made him.
https://ttte.fandom.com/wiki/Stepney/Merchandise
I like Stepney and would love to see him in ho scale.

RailwayRoundhouse

Honestly, I think both engines are great and both would probably do great sales if announced, but I feel Stepney is the direction Bachmann should take. His popularity with Thomas Fans and those at the Bluebell Railway are very high and not to mention in terms of designs, Stepney is pretty simplistic. Ryan however is much more detailed as he's designed a lot more accurately to his real life basis. To be honest, I feel the demand for the Bluebell Engine alone is reason enough to make the model, but that's just me.

TrainFan97

If Mattel strictly wanted Bachmann to only make characters that appeared in the CGI ceries, we wouldn't have gotten the Spiteful Brake Van.

Another thing Mattel needs to realize is that most collectors of Bachmann Thomas models are adults who grew up with the classic series. Most kids would just be okay with a Thomas set alone, while the people who actually have money are the ones who start collections. With the 75th Anniversary on the horizon, there is no better time for Bachmann to make Stepney. His Hornby model is hard to find without costing a phenomenal amount of money. Ryan would be great to fall back on if we can't get Stepney.

If BoCo ever comes back, there's a good chance his CGI render would benefit, like Daisy's. Stepney, on the other hand, would most likely suffer the same render problems as Oliver, and it would make people not want him, so it's best that Bachmann makes Stepney before CGI ruins him, and have him made based on his model series design.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.