News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Stepney or Ryan?

Started by TerencetheTractor525, July 28, 2019, 11:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin (TheBlueSnowplow)

Not only is Stepney a real-life engine, which would appeal to serious modellers with (grand)kids looking for Thomas models to run on their layouts, but the success and subsequent prices of the discontinued Hornby Stepney prove that there is a highly lucrative market for a model of the character in HO. I think Bachmann would be unwise to lose the opportunity of a 75th anniversary to release this highly revered, classic series engine.
Check out my Youtube channel below. 
www.youtube.com/thebluesnowplow

Elsbridge Productions

Personally I'd love to see either Stepney or Ryan, and I can see good reasons for making either of them. But it think it's more important in some cases to encourage Bachmann to produce characters which have some meaning behind them instead of a character whom the fans dont care for. Stepney or Ryan would both be great additions, but there are sooo many new characters now that I wouldn't want to see made (like the international engines) as they are just poorly implemented and not well recieved, so I do hope bachmann doesnt feel the need to introduce a character like that.

Sorry if that's a little off topic and rambling, I just thought it would be important to stress that point.

TerencetheTractor525

Very happy to see that many people are interested in seeing Stepney announced next! Really hoping that we don't just get a repaint such as the LBSC Thomas announced in February 2020 as the HO locomotive :/ Stepney and the Narrow Gauge Brake Van are the two new toolings that will make February 2020's new product announcement grand!

Come on, Bachmann! Let's make the 75th Anniversary strong by announcing Stepney in February 2020! We are rooting for you! :).
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

TrainFan97

Quote from: TerencetheTractor525 on July 31, 2019, 04:25:54 PM
Very happy to see that many people are interested in seeing Stepney announced next! Really hoping that we don't just get a repaint such as the LBSC Thomas announced in February 2020 as the HO locomotive :/ Stepney and the Narrow Gauge Brake Van are the two new toolings that will make February 2020's new product announcement grand!

Come on, Bachmann! Let's make the 75th Anniversary strong by announcing Stepney in February 2020! We are rooting for you! :).

My thoughts exactly! I don't care if Stepney ends up getting delayed, as long as he gets announced. Just another recolor like Sidney would be disappointing, if we don't get another new tooling announced, but I understand that new toolings aren't cheap. In this case, it's the 75th Anniversary, which would be a big deal. Especially if Stepney gets made in his model design, his sales will be off the charts.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

Legomastr 365

I'm team Stepney all the way. He's a very underrated character all around. And after Hornby discontinued the Thomas and Friends version of their Stepney, you'd be lucky to find one floating around on ebay for under $200.00. If Bachmann released their own Stepney, it would be a massive relief to everyone that they don't need to buy Hornby's dodgy new terrier (I bought two, trust me, very dodgy pickups and build) and Bachmann could get a leg up on Hornby.

Thomas__Blue

I would enjoy seeing Bachmann handle Stepney. The Hornby one I own is quite good, though I'd loved to see one more accurate to the one seen in the television series. But that's just my opinion.

DaSlickstanator

Yes, I would definitely like to see Stepney made for next year. Even if he's not relevant to the show anymore, it would be unique to release him in time for the 75th anniversary.  ;D

And Ryan would be great to see too, seeing that he was introduced in a anniversary special!

callancastle13

Stepney would honestly be a really great engine to own. He wasn't seen a whole lot, but is insanely popular among Thomas fans. One thing I like about Stepney that I feel really sticks out is his color. He's one of the only engines in the show with a color scheme so unique, and I believe it will surely stick out to many fans of Thomas, young or old. The other thing is the fact that his basis looks exactly like the one you'd see on the bluebell railway. As you said about the 75th anniversary approaching, having an older character which (in most cases) represents the bygone era of the models would be really neat. Older characters (such as the spiteful breakvan and Duck) seem to be a hit with fans who grew up with the show, so having Stepney in the line up would surely be great to see

Jadand247

This is a really interesting post! It's really hard to decide who to pick between Ryan and Stepney, both are great characters with great designs! But I feel like both would be great for Bachmann to make! But Stepney himself, is one of many favorite characters of mine, and I know many other fans feel the same way about him too! I think with enough effort, Bachmann can do it! You guys can do it! ;)

TrainFan365

I'd much prefer Stepney over Ryan, as it seems you guys do too, due to the fact that he's a classic character and Hornby retired him years ago before the whole range was retired.  Profits would be better, and we would be willing to pay however much money necessary to finally be able to own a Stepney model. 

TM24

Introducing Stepney instead of Ryan would be more favorable among bachmann and train fans. Older, model series characters are more sought after. I can say without hesitation that Stepney would sell more than Ryan. Many other terrific points and arguments towards releasing Stepney have been said countless times already. It makes the most sense to create Stepney as the next standard gauge engine.

ChrisLaRoxk

Personally I would like to see a accurate television series model of Stepney In the H0 Range so that Thomas fans old and new can learn about the background as Stepney as a character and along with having him come out on the 75th anniversary of the Thomas and Friends franchise in 2020 but for the year after I believe Ryan should come out in 2021 the following year.

thomasj219

Also, with Bachmann now being able to sell in Europe.  Consideration of modelers will (or should) be taken much more into account. There's an incredible market for it out there. I mean, the Bluebell railway would love it.

This could be a very lucrative time for Bachmann and for us as old fans.
All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Harvey.

Crazy Thomas

I think Stepney is a better option than Ryan because he is a classic character. However, since Daisy was announced Ryan would also be a good option.

TayBowes917

The classic characters, and RWS characters for that matter, have always been first on my list to own from any retailer. Stepney would be a beautiful model and I agree that he would most likely be less expensive to make than Ryan. Seeing as Hornby had made Stepney, Bachmann should take this route as well and make a TV series accurate version of him for us "older" fans. Ryan would make a great model too but I definitely am hoping for Bachmann to consider the classics first and foremost with their plans to release Daisy.