News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Part for Bachman 2-6-6-2 Mallet

Started by Trainman700, July 29, 2019, 02:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainman700

I am in need of two of the long steps, one for the front and one for the rear of my Bachman 2-6-6-2 Mallet. This is the long, horizontal stepping platform just above the couplers that the brakeman would step up onto after connecting or disconnecting cars from the front or rear of the engine.  In Bachman's exploded parts diagram for assembly, this part is listed as OAYO6, if anyone is able to see that.  Both of them came loose and fell off somewhere on my outdoor layout, and I have been unable to find them.  I suppose one could 3-D print replacements for these missing items, but I would need just one of them to use as a template.  If anyone has a spare one, (or two), I would be happy to purchase them from you and pay for shipping.  I am trying to get this engine ready for the upcoming National Garden Railway Convention in August, of which, I am a participant, as my layout will be on the tour.
Thank you everyone for reading this and responding if you can help me out.
Sincerely - Trainman700

Loco Bill Canelos

Suggest you try to contact Bachmann Service to see if they can help!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Trainman700

I did.  They don't carry that specific part.  I am going to have to 3-D print that replacement part.

Loco Bill Canelos

Trainman,

Glad you did, because sometimes they can help even for items they do not carry in the online store. 

I would donate steps but don't have any.  Please let us know how the 3D printing works out. 

Clearly that is the wave of the future for hard to find parts! 

Bill

mickeykelley

So how do you get the specs for the printer?  Are there scanners? Draw your own?  Pre existing CAD or other file?  Seems like buying a printer is the easy part.

Trainman700

My son owns 2 of these 3-D printers, and from what I can determine, he places the object under his camera attached to the printer, and it either photographs or scans the item to be 3-D printed.  I'm not entire sure of the process, but he has been able to make me some amazing items using this technique.  He modeled, (in 'N' scale) the entire Vancouver, WA train depot from his 3-D printer, and it is an exact replica of the real thing.  All it needed was painting to look like the one down the tracks from our home.

Loco Bill Canelos

I am very interested in the 3D printing process, but intimidated by what I perceive as the complexity of it.  I just saw an article in Time magazine which predicts that 3D printers will become an everyday item as "smart homes " evolve.   

It is definitely true that small quantities of parts can be made for out trains this way, for me it would almost have to be super simple.

The prices are coming down, but that is for the basic printers and I suspect do not include the scanner/camera he is using.

It would be great to hear from other forum members who have a 3D printer, I know I would love to learn more.

Bill

Homo Habilis

Loco Bill

While it is not too active you might check out the Large Scale Central Technical Modeling forum at www.largescalecentral.com/forums/32/technical-modeling

Loco Bill Canelos

HI Homo Hablis,

Thanks for the link, It does have some interesting info, more than I expected! 8)

Bill