News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound Value GP7

Started by laming, August 07, 2019, 10:03:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

laming

Hi all:

New here, but it was recommended that I join up for asking Bachmann-specific questions.

I'm a multiple "Sound Value" owner. I have 4 of the new 4-4-0's with Sound Value, as well as an Alco S-4, and a GP7. My question concerns my GP7.

First off, this little Geep really is a "sound value". Very nice little "start here" (for detailing) model. The Soundtraxx sounds are surprisingly good, and I think the mechanism has much potential.

I'm new to altering DCC performance via CV adjustments, and I'm making progress in that realm, but thought I'd share my results here and ask a couple of questions as well.

After tinkering a bit with my Sound Value #1207 Rock Island GP7 using my NCE system and a Program Track,  I ended up with the  CV's set thus:

Accel 100

Deaccel 100

Start Voltage 0

IF I go upward on start voltage, I seem to lose it's current smoothest start ability. The above settings result in a nice feeling of "heft" when running it.

There are two items I would LOVE to alter, but I don't see a CV for same on the list of CV's for this engine provided by Bachmann. Those would be:

* Setting the 128 speed step as its default. At start up, it's currently at 14 step and you have to manually select 128. IF you forget, it's the "Jack Rabbit Special".  ;D

* A delay in starting. Not to be confused with Accel/Deaccel rates (momentum), but simply a delay before movement is initiated. Seems to me this would allow the prime mover sounds to ramp up before movement. At least, that's the impression I get with my Atlas Gold Loksound equipped GP7's, where they'll ramp up the revs before they start moving. With the Loksound Geeps, there seems to be a delay before the speed setting takes hold and THEN once movement begins, the momentum settings kick in. Wonderful feature. I realize this is a Sound Value engine and not Loksound. However, there could be a CV setting that I'm not aware of that can allow me to experiment emulating this feature with the Sound Value decoder?

Do any of you have suggestions on the above two desired adjustments, or even if those adjustments are possible?

Thanks for reading this and I would certainly appreciate any input.

All fer now.

Andre

Gearedenginefreak

Andre,
Speed step default from 14 is controlled by cv29. The choices are 14 or 28/128. There is no 128 default. That is chosen and maintained by your NCE system. The decoder only knows either 14 or 28/128. You did not mention which NCE system you have. Since I use the PowerCab, I will talk about that.  There is an option to set up cv29 (because it has multiple switches for setting up the operational characteristics of the decoder). Its easiest if you go to your powercab manual page 48 explains how to get to decoder configuration cv29, then page 51 explains how to choose 28 or 14 speed steps.  After you have set the decoder for 28 speed steps, then you use the 28/128 button on the throttle to toggle between 28 or 128 steps. After you toggle 128, then the system remembers that and anytime you choose that locomotive with the throttle, it will stay at 128.
Regarding the delay in starting, I am not sure with the Soundvalue what you can do. I would have to look up the settings and see if there is a way to start  throttlle notching up sounds without movement, then manually or automatically start the movement.  I will defer to others thoughts on that.

Tom

laming

Thanks Tom for the info on CV29.

My current NCE system:

I have an older NCE Pro R/C system. (The one with the longer "rubber ducky" antennas on the hammerhead handheld and TX/RX box.) I will be purchasing a new NCE Pro R/C system within a month or so to replace this older one on my larger layout, and this older system will go to my smaller switching layout. The current handheld will travel between the two layouts so two operators can operate on my larger layout. (Later I may add another handheld on my larger layout to accommodate three operators.) I use a Program Track to make changes and not Program On The Main. (Oddly, I have an older Tsunami 1 equipped engine that doesn't seem to respond well to the Program Track, so I change settings on it with the Program On Main feature.)

Hopefully, there is a CV value that can be configured for a delay between throttle speed setting and initial response to same. (The idea being that the prime mover sounds will respond to the change in voltage, but the decoder won't feed the volts to the mechanism motor immediately.) There just might not be a way to do it, but hey... worth asking, right?

Thanks again for your input!

All fer now!

Andre

graywolf

Andre I have a sound value GP38-2 and I think you can achieve the result you are looking for regarding the engine reving up prior to moving by setting the Automatic bell sounds for forward and reverse.This was activated on my engine by setting CV198 to 6, setting CV193 to 5 and CV194 to 10 . So 198 is DCC mode autosound config. CV193 Autobell ON set point and CV194 is Auto bell OFF set point. I know my engine starts up and doesn't start moving till around speed step 6 or 7 the bell sounds and then shuts off around speed step 11 or 12. On stopping the horn sounds one blast when the engine comes to a complete stop. Very realistic. Enjoy

laming

Thanks graywolf for the tip. I may have to experiment and see what I can come up with!

Andre

Hunt

Quote from: laming on August 07, 2019, 12:27:34 PM
. . .

Hopefully, there is a CV value that can be configured for a delay between throttle speed setting and initial response to same. (The idea being that the prime mover sounds will respond to the change in voltage, but the decoder won't feed the volts to the mechanism motor immediately.) There just might not be a way to do it, but hey... worth asking, right?

. . .

Andre

The CV is 116

However, Manual Notching the part of CV 116 that does what you want is not included in the Sound Value decoder factory installed in the GP7.

laming

Thanks Hunt.

I experimented with that value, and it seems to move the rev response locations up/down the throttle range. The higher the value, the more closely spaced the exhaust revs, thus the exhaust is sounding wide open (Run 8) at a lower throttle setting. Default is 39. I ended up with something like 25 to give me three throttle notches that are usable at switching speeds, and running about 35 MPH equals Run 8 sounds. (I have a mountain railroad layout, so speeds are low.)

While I was at it, I adjusted the Max/Mid speeds along with various other performance values (and some sound volumes, too) and I've ended up with a pretty good package now that yields a nice little GP7 road switcher w/sound!

I still say these little GP7's are indeed a "sound" value! (Pun!)

All fer now.

Andre