News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

The Everything Thomas Topic

Started by Chaz, August 13, 2019, 12:12:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrainFan97

The only way the TV series can be saved is if somehow, the original show gets revived, and we get a real Season 25. One way would be to get Jam Filled back to animating the show, and we go back to the show we knew and loved. May not be Jam Filled, but at least make Thomas CGI again.

This is all wishful thinking, but still. They need to revive the original show, and get back to where we were before this reboot, or better yet, before the "Big World Big Adventures" era. All Engines Go is literally the Teen Titans Go of Thomas. Mattel most likely won't listen anyway, and just let the franchise die.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

JLK2707

TrainFan97, what makes you say that it is just wishful thinking?

TrainFan97

Quote from: JLK2707 on February 04, 2021, 04:17:30 AM
TrainFan97, what makes you say that it is just wishful thinking?

Because Mattel most likely won't listen, and I don't know if the original show will get revived, but we probably shouldn't get our hopes up.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

metal4life

Yes, it's pretty sad- if not heartbreaking, to see the spirit of what made the show so unique and special completely discarded and replaced by directionless marketability. This is where we're at and I'm gonna share what I think is a worthwhile attitude to think about.

In actuality it's been seemingly long understood that the future of the spirit of the world of Thomas is really up to the fans now. Hasn't the official YT channel done like, those videos where fans submit their own scenes for "episodes"?
I know I've seen that before, so it's not like they don't know fans are super committed to taking the series in their own and faithful directions. It's almost like this is an acknowledgment, sort of. Mattel may recognize that fans, the hardcore fan base, knows the depth and complexity of storytelling that the world of Thomas is capable of and is leaving it up to them to keep the spirit alive in their way.

There's no way Mattel are oblivious to how much content the fanbase creates and pumps into the community. It's as if Mattel has made it clear that they're using the franchise how they want to- and want fans to use it how fans want to. If you think of it this way, it makes saying goodbye to the professionally produced and marketed face of Thomas not so difficult. It's nice to have writers and directors and animators/modelers pour their lives into a series for kids that countless adults also enjoy, but maybe this is where the two separate. Fans know the lore, the characters, the source material and all that- and fans are continually expanding upon that in the way they feel is most faithful.

Honestly, maybe it's better this way. The more quality and capable mediums like Train Simulators and model-making become, the bigger palette of creativity fans have to work with and continue the world how they see fit. It doesn't make it any less official or canon, if that's anyone's worry- which you could debate any which way. All in all, I think this is the point where the future of this series belongs to the fans. So let's see what happens.

plas man

a new Thomas fan (UK)  , recent up grade to the 00/H0 layout - Thomas Percy James and Gordon - but Gordon derails his tender mostly on track joints (Peco track) and extra large radius curves - after 3 mods the only cure was deeper flange wheels (Trix 1970's vintage) so Bachmann please listen larger flange on Thomas range - this is a kids toy and they love going at full speed

after that they are better models than the Hornby range .   

Falcon the 2nd

Tuned into the evening's TrainWorld stream, where a few pieces of new information were shared.  For those who missed it, TrainWorld may likely upload it in its entirety on YouTube later.

Sculpting samples for N Scale James and HO Scale Daisy were finally shown off! I was coincidentally anticipating one of them to be present in the hours that preceded the stream. While Daisy's face was not shown off, both her basis alone and James' are shaping up to be quite promising. I cannot wait to see them both painted later on and I eagerly await getting my hands on them!

Ryan was also briefly mentioned - though the team is aiming to release him later in the year, there is a slight chance that he could be pushed back to 2022. It's too early to tell at the moment, so we'll just have to wait and see how that plan plays out.

It was a pleasant stream to watch as a whole and what they shared in it was quite pleasing. I would love to see them host another stream like this, whether it'd be after the NMRA announcements or next year's catalogue. ;)
Wishlists:
HO Scale - Stepney, Tar Tanker
N Scale - Henry, Mavis, Milk Tanker, Brake Van

Hilux5972

Was great to see Daisy finally. She's looking ready. Next stop painted samples.

Chaz

The stream was terrific and Doug did a great job discussing all upcoming products in addition to revealing the engineering samples.  The N scale James looks like it's coming along really nicely so far and I'm excited about Daisy too.  Can't wait to see future updates on these two in addition to Peter Sam in the near future!
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

TTL

Stream was pretty good, nice to see the EPs for N scale James and Daisy. Was just a bit disappointed that there was nothing for Peter Sam, not even a real progress update or current rough release time. Still, nice seeing that the Narrow Gauge range as a whole was getting love from just about everyone, with calls for a bit more expansion for the range.
Need me some Sir Handel and more Talyllyn stock.

TrainFan97

It's about time we finally got to see unpainted prototypes of N Scale James, and HO Scale Daisy. We should see them fully painted within a few months, and in stock later this year. Hopefully, we also get an unpainted prototype of Ryan by the end of the year. Not certain, but possible.

Falcon the 2nd

Has anyone besides me noticed that all three of the G/Large Scale Thomas starter sets have been stealthily discontinued? None of them are present in neither the 2021 catalog nor the G/Large Scale Thomas section on TrainWorld's website. This decision could be based on the chance that they probably weren't selling well, but it does concern me as someone who has been vying to get into the scale recently. Now there's not much of an ideal place to start other than buying a non-Thomas starter set, or accumulating track and rolling stock on separate terms.

With the range finally getting more new items, I would hope for starter sets to come back sometime soon - particularly Thomas and/or Percy's. As much as I would want one featuring Diesel to promote a new engine, I'm not sure if any sets with characters besides Thomas or Percy would sell well on any given scale nowadays.
Wishlists:

Plow_Bender

Unfortunately this is another issue that goes back to cost.  Based on what I've heard from Bachmann themselves and the additional research I've done, the RRP of the starter sets was just becoming too expensive to keep them around.  I'd also assume based on that fact that people weren't buying the sets due to the high cost either.

When Bachmann first introduced the Thomas and Percy sets, they had RRP's of $385 each back in 2009.  Both sets remained in the catalogue until 2020, and had an RRP of $509 back in 2019.  You do the math and that's a $124 price increase within just a hair over a decade.  Whether that's reasonable or outrageous is up for debate, but I can honestly say the cost of model railroading in general has gotten completely out of control.  Interestingly the Thomas' Christmas Delivery set had an RRP of $525 when it was announced back in 2012.  I say that because the price was $60 more than the other 2 sets at that time, and then it dropped to $30 more back in 2017.  I don't know why there was such a significant price difference for a Christmas themed set, but it didn't last as long as the others, being discontinued in 2018.  I'm wondering if the extra cost and fact it was a Charismas themed set may have lead to it being dropped?

It does seem like Bachmann is getting away from starter sets in Large Scale, as they've only had around 4-5 options to choose from in the last 4 years.  As of 2021, there's only 2 Big Hauler sets still available, 1 a Christmas set and another a normal set which was announced this year.  I can remember that around 2010 there was close to a dozen starter sets in the catalogue, but the numbers have continued to decline over the years.  While Bachmann may feel the sets were getting too expensive, it's still cheaper for customers to go out and buy a starter set, rather than purchasing trains, track, and a power supply separately.

I can honestly say I purchased starter sets when I got into Large Scale back in 2010, however I did replace the steel alloy track and small power supplies in later years.  Still, the starter sets (as the name implies) helped me to get started in Large Scale with everything I needed, rather than starting from scratch and spending far more money than I had to.  I literally had over $1,000 worth of Large Scale model railroading equipment which only cost me $600 at the time from my favorite retailer, thanks to buying everything in starter sets.

I think it would be best if Bachmann were to at least bring back the Thomas, Annie, and Clarabel set so Thomas fans have an option to get started in the Large Scale line.  It's more convent for customers to buy these sets an add to them overtime, rather than trying to acquire everything separately before you can even get started.  In addition to that, starter sets are also intended to help younger modelers get into the hobby, but taking away these sets also takes away a foundation for the hobby as well.  Sadly this is only 1 of many problems Large Scale is facing at this time...

-Rusty
"If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it..."

Falcon the 2nd

Ah, I see exactly what you mean. I knew that prices have not gotten any better model railroading within the last twelve years, but I didn't figure that Large Scale sets were among the many areas affected until now.

Large Scale is a range inherently more expensive to produce for than any other scale, whether or not it's a Thomas product being produced, so careful and crucial decision-making must be made on what products to make or keep around. That being said, I can imagine that most previously-sold sets in the range haven't been worth the prices of admission, let alone the prices of manufacturing.

The future of Bachmann's Large Scale products as a whole has been a subject of debate for quite some time - though Diesel, Paxton and a handful of new non-Thomas locomotives are signs of hope on one hand, the gradual increases in price tags and depletion of starter sets are discouraging on the other. I just hope for now that the team is still able to make the most of each Large Scale range for a little longer.

I don't blame Bachmann for wanting to discontinue their Large Scale Thomas sets with unfortunate yearly inflation and declining sales in mind. As much as I would want the Thomas, Annie & Clarabel starter set to come back, I think I'd also be okay with buying a non-Thomas set and going from there.

Thanks for the insight, Rusty. Remembering changes made to the scale overtime should give us something to think about while discussing possible future products.
Wishlists:

Rodimus Supreme

I kind of want to see Bachmann make Hector the Horrid sometime soon.

prr22

Livestream at 7:30pm ET Friday.  Discussing TTTE's substantial impact on our hobby!

https://youtu.be/LklejBHzx-U
Modeling the rolling hills from Baltimore to Pittsburg