News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

The Everything Thomas Topic

Started by Chaz, August 13, 2019, 12:12:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chaz

I think after they announce James for the N scale range, the fourth engine could go one of three ways:

Either they announce Gordon and Henry since the market has been proven to be there in the past for both N scale as well as being part of Bachmann's top 5 sellers in HO with Gordon being number one.

Or they announce Emily as the first token female engine like in HO and large scale.

Or they announce Toby because he has such a simple tooling to work with and has also proven to be a major hit in both HO and large scale.

I feel like any other characters like Edward Diesel and other characters would likely be saved as a much later priority and we will most likely have these engines announced first making Edward the last of the "original steam team" to be made like how he was in HO.  And hey while we're at it, just like in HO, I hope Bachmann also avoids making Nia and Rebecca in N scale too.  Bachmann instead should just continue to focus on making characters that have proven to be popular in HO first and not even bother with those two. 
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

TrainFan97

So, after Bachmann makes N Scale James, the fourth engine could go one of three ways, like you said.

Either they'll make Gordon and Henry, since they're both very popular sellers in HO Scale. Emily is also possible since she was the first female engine in both HO and Large Scales. You also mentioned Toby because of how simple his tooling would be, and he's popular in both HO and Large Scales, though he might get saved for later on. A while back, I did state the idea of Toby and Mavis sharing the same chassis, but I'm skeptical about whether or not Mavis would join the line because Mattel doesn't think she's marketable. Mavis rarely speaks anymore, and Mattel made almost no toy of her since their takeover.

Characters like Edward and Diesel would be considered as later priorities. Edward was the last of the original Steam Team to be made in HO Scale. Many people, including myself, have expressed disinterest in Bachmann making Nia and Rebecca for HO Scale because it's better for Bachmann to put their resources into characters people actually ask for, like Daisy, who was a very popular request that got announced recently. We're also hoping Nia and Rebecca don't get made in N Scale either, so we'd get characters us long-time fans actually care about. People expressed disinterest in Nia and Rebecca the same way they expressed disinterest in Bachmann making Duncan for Narrow Gauge. In Duncan's case, it's because of his bad CGI render.

Personally, I'll vouch for Gordon and Henry after James.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

Falcon the 2nd

Gordon and Henry announced after James sounds like a relatively decent move for the factors of the three engines commonly teaming up in the older shows and N Scale being more flexible with the former two's sizes. Other options are welcome, as long as they have some appeal to longtime fans.

Quote from: TrainFan97 on October 22, 2019, 03:40:07 PM
A while back, I did state the idea of Toby and Mavis sharing the same chassis, but I'm skeptical about whether or not Mavis would join the line because Mattel doesn't think she's marketable. Mavis rarely speaks anymore, and Mattel made almost no toy of her since their takeover.
Mavis has become a difficult character to discuss in terms of new merchandise. It is sad but true that she's had a hard time being seen as a respectable member of the Thomas cast nowadays. Though if her Day Out With Thomas debut at Strasburg this weekend may be any indicator, Mavis still has a shot or two at holding some relevance. At the very least, an N Scale Mavis may seem more likely than Large Scale since it would cost much less to make, she can still share Toby's chassis and she was already a hit in HO Scale. It's currently too early to tell if either character will be made, so we can only be patient on the note of Mavis. For now, I'm hoping she can be considered as a future engine possibly after Toby.
Wishlists:
HO Scale - Stepney, Tar Tanker
N Scale - Henry, Mavis, Milk Tanker, Brake Van

Chaz

Well it looks like preorders for the HO Thomas models are up in some UK shops with their first batch of characters:

https://www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk/bachmann-thomas-friends-thomas-friends-oo/

And they revealed the new retail prices for said products in 2020 too which again have increased due to our buddies at Mattel's poor marketing choices.  Perfect example of this is how Gordon (listed as $155 as of 2019) has a listed retail price of £125 confirmed through this shop which is the equivalent of $165...

Falcon the 2nd

Quote from: Chaz on December 06, 2019, 11:40:15 PM
Well it looks like preorders for the HO Thomas models are up in some UK shops with their first batch of characters:

https://www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk/bachmann-thomas-friends-thomas-friends-oo/

And they revealed the new retail prices for said products in 2020 too which again have increased due to our buddies at Mattel's poor marketing choices.  Perfect example of this is how Gordon (listed as $155 as of 2019) has a listed retail price of £125 confirmed through this shop which is the equivalent of $165...

This is a decent assortment of products to start with for the UK, all things considered. Hopefully they can add more to the selections overtime, whether it'd be in batches or individual additions. Edward and Henry coming next would be convenient for completing the set of Series/Season 1 engines.
Wishlists:
HO Scale - Stepney, Tar Tanker
N Scale - Henry, Mavis, Milk Tanker, Brake Van

Chaz

I'm sure as time goes on Bachmann UK will gradually add the rest of the range before keeping up with some of the newer and current releases. They probably wanted to start off small so they wouldn't overflow the market.  

The track expander pack is an interesting choice since that's not an actual Thomas product but they probably included that just so fans could have more access to EZ track while starting with this new range.  Unfortunately I could also see this being one of the 2020 announcements at Toy Fair and it will basically be this pack just repackaged as "Thomas and Friends" just to get Thomas fans buying more EZ track. :P  

Toad was also an interesting choice too, I guess they wanted to go with him to give fans a brake van for fans to start collecting since the original brake van Bachmann made got discontinued.  Personally I would have gone with the spiteful brake van instead since it looks a lot more like a regular brake van used in the show but that's just me.

TTL

Sort of surprised they're not introducing anything NG to start off, given it's been a major market for years already now.
Need me some Sir Handel and more Talyllyn stock.

TerencetheTractor525

I agree that it makes sense to start with a small batch for the UK instead of starting with the complete line all at once. Regarding the track expander pack, I could definitely see it getting announced in February for UK fans too. In my opinion, I don't think that it is a bad idea as it is a nice simple way to have young fans in the UK, who purchase the Thomas with Annie & Clarabel Starter Set, expand the set to a decent size using the same track system.
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

TTL

Tbf, I can see it both selling and not selling, cause technically the normal non-beded Bachmann and Hornby are compatible, but on the other hand people may just want matching track for their kids?

mulfred-100

It will be interesting to see what other UK retailers get in stock and when they get it. Sadly those prices are very much on the steap side so in the online market I can't see them selling that great when there's other UK seller (Sawyer models) who sell them cheaper. However in store they might sell alright. I know I'll be ordering Gordon in the New Year but I will not be paying £125 from there. It would probably work out cheaper ordering from trainworld.

TTL

Yeah I doubt that, pretty sure Trainworld has $40 minimum for shipping international.

Rodimus Supreme

I wonder if the track pack image is a placeholder until they announce a track pack for the Thomas and Friends line next year, and then they'll replace the image with an image of the actual pack's box?

mulfred-100

Quote from: STL on December 09, 2019, 10:32:46 AM
Yeah I doubt that, pretty sure Trainworld has $40 minimum for shipping international.
Even if it's $40 plus the $99.99 trainworld charge for Gordon when you convert to GBP it's around £107 which is cheaper then listed price of £125 even in their sale you still are cheaper getting it from trainworld once you take shipping into account.  ::) basic math  ;D

really called Thomas

Quote from: mulfred-100 on December 09, 2019, 11:23:34 AM
Quote from: STL on December 09, 2019, 10:32:46 AM
Even if it's $40 plus the $99.99 trainworld charge for Gordon when you convert to GBP it's around £107 which is cheaper then listed price of £125 even in their sale you still are cheaper getting it from trainworld once you take shipping into account.  ::) basic math  ;D

Dont forget 20% import on that at a lousy exchange rate takes it to approx. £128 (calculator: https://www.simplyduty.com/import-calculator/)

Then you have £8 Royal Mail charge for clearing customs. So overall it will be £136 or so if you are lucky! Its £16 clearance with UPS!

Meanwhile, you can buy Gordon for £95 (plus £4 P&P) from tootallythomas.co.uk who are based in Northants and whom I bought the majority of my Thomas locos and rolling stock from.

mulfred-100

Well I'll not go into tootally Thomas but I get your point. However i have ordered items off eBay from international sellers and it's not charged me customs all depends on the way it's sent.