News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

The Everything Thomas Topic

Started by Chaz, August 13, 2019, 12:12:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kemptown Branch

Quote from: Rodimus Supreme on July 29, 2020, 12:40:52 PM
I missed the Thomas and Friends presentation part. Does anyone have screencaps from that part of the new products?
If you go to YouTube and search Trainworldtv, you should be able to find the presentation. The Thomas & Friends part starts around 18 minutes in.
Bachmann trains are awesome. I hope they come out with Stepney one day.

Toad139

Quote from: TrainFan97 on July 28, 2020, 08:53:26 PM
The fact that Troublesome Truck #6 wasn't shown yet must mean that Bachmann is still working on it.

If it's based on one of those tankers from the Season 4 episode "Toad Stands By", it will have really good sales, but if it's based on the African tanker from the illustration, the sales could be very minimal. If based on the oil tankers with faces that first appeared in Journey Beyond Sodor, the sales could be slightly better, but still not as good as the Season 4 one. If they just slap a face on the HO Scale Oil Tanker, then they might as well discontinue the faceless one.

If Bachmann wants the best sales out of Troublesome Truck #6, it must be based on the Troublesome Tankers from Toad Stands By (Season 4) because the classic (model) series is the best choice for Troublesome Trucks in general. They just don't have the same charm in the CGI series.

I always felt as though a Troublesome Tanker would work best as a TAR Wagon. Troublesome Truck #5 was based on a specific wagon from the show, and it reintroduced a discontinued item. They could have did the same thing with truck #6. Plus, basing it on a wagon from a classic episode would most likely help sales. To me, it just feels like a missed opportunity.

I think the design we can most realistically expect for truck #6 will probably be a regular CG Oil Tank. I doubt they will go with the African tank used in the promo, mainly because it is just purple, and pretty much every wagon they release nowadays has some logo or lettering on the side. Chaz bringing up that the Oil tank hasn't been released in new packaging also makes me believe this more. I wouldn't be surprised to see the regular Oil Tank be replaced by one with a face, just like they did with the Brake Van.

As for the face, I could see it going both ways. The Spiteful Brake Van shows they are willing combine elements from different sources into one model. Even if it has a CG livery, the face may be taken from the model era because they know how much of a selling point it would be. The face is definitely the most important aspect to me, and a classic face would make it a must have.

Mulfred100

I'm sorry but to me expecting it too look any different to the promo image shown is just going to lead to disappointment and people getting angry further down the line. Bachmann has always been a what you see is what you get kind of company. Yes they listen to us all and fix flaws like how Paxton had the white boarder around his face when his model was first shown and then later fixed to match his livery and such but they are usually pretty set once something is shown its made that way. Purple African tanker, CGI face, Troublesome Truck 6. Do I want that no but I've accepted thats what we are getting i mean I'm not trying to start fights but I do recall a time bachmann has released an image of a product in the Thomas line and the final product hasn't looked exactly like their original concept. If I'm wrong by all means I will say I am. As I say I would rather have a series 4 tanker like everyone else but to me that's not what they have shown us they are making so...

Toad139

All reasonable points Mulfred. The only time I can remember where they gave us promos that didn't represent the final models were with the slate wagons. Accurate Talyllyn Railway slate trucks did appear in the CGI series, so they definitely could have chosen a better picture to represent them. You are definitely right though, I could be over thinking it and we may just get exactly what we see in the promo. Although, its still strange they specifically state that it is an "Oil Tanker" in the name if it's just gonna be purple.

Mulfred100

Yes but the same can be said say its an oil tanker and show us the purple tanker. To me what was shown is what we will get until I actually see different from Bachmann in the form of Product shots. Theres only two tankers shown with faces in the CGI era with faces so far that I can find. The purple African tanker (which I don't recall them saying in the Big World movie they appeared in what they were carry inside the tanker. It could be oil) and the sodor oil tankers.

Like i say I'm not trying to prove anyone right or wrong all I'm saying is for me personally if they showed us the purple tanker from Africa thats likely what we will get. Maybe mattel told Bachmann it was an oil tanker? Maybe Bachmann put out the wring photo or where sent the wrong photo? I really do not know. We will all find out soon enough  ;)

Rodimus Supreme

Quote from: TrainMan2001 on July 29, 2020, 01:23:14 PM
Quote from: Rodimus Supreme on July 29, 2020, 12:40:52 PM
I missed the Thomas and Friends presentation part. Does anyone have screencaps from that part of the new products?
If you go to YouTube and search Trainworldtv, you should be able to find the presentation. The Thomas & Friends part starts around 18 minutes in.
Thanks.

Cheeky_ULP

They used the photo of the African tanker because at the time it was literally the first photo of the troublesome tankers you'd see on the Wiki. I doubt they even realized what the source was.

TrainFan97

If Lionel ever drops their Thomas license like Hornby did, not only would Bachmann finally get to make Thomas products for O Scale, but they'd also finally get to make Thomas models for every scale. When Hornby dropped their Thomas license, Bachmann finally gets to sell their HO/OO Scale Thomas models in the UK. As for Lionel, as long as their O Scale Thomas products continue to sell well, they may not drop their license anytime soon. I have nothing against Lionel, but their Thomas line is so underwhelming compared to Bachmann's. Lionel once had a short-lived G Scale range, while Bachmann's Large/G Scale models look so much better in comparison. Does Lionel still even make new O Scale Thomas models?

For now, we at least have the new N Scale range to look forward to. Could we live to see the day when Bachmann finally gets to make Thomas products for all scales?
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

Kemptown Branch

I don't know if any of you have heard this, but there's a guy on YouTube called InstrumentManiac and he's been doing instrumental covers of the classic Thomas & Friends themes recently. I highly reccomend checking out his channel. I would post a link, but I can't seem to get one using my phone and I don't have access to a computer right now.
Bachmann trains are awesome. I hope they come out with Stepney one day.

RailwayRoundhouse

Quote from: TrainMan2001 on July 30, 2020, 11:43:17 AM
I don't know if any of you have heard this, but there's a guy on YouTube called InstrumentManiac and he's been doing instrumental covers of the classic Thomas & Friends themes recently. I highly reccomend checking out his channel. I would post a link, but I can't seem to get one using my phone and I don't have access to a computer right now.

I have to agree, his covers are fantastic! My personal favourite is his cover of Edward's theme.

JLK2707

They should just make Thomas products for every scale. :)

Zekeism

Imagine they made a limited edition classic funnel Peter Sam lol?
Proud Bachmann Thomas Collector.

Mulfred100

Quote from: Zekeism on August 01, 2020, 05:14:03 PM
Imagine they made a limited edition classic funnel Peter Sam lol?
Imagine how fast Peter Sam will sell out once released when everyone wants to make all his different forms (classic old funnel, classic special funnel, classic rws, updated rws, Stuart, Edward Thomas) thats without a post accident pre special funnel version and drain pipe funnel

Chaz

A higher quality image of the Origin James in case anyone wants a better look at it:

Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.