Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

The Everything Thomas Topic

Started by Chaz, August 13, 2019, 12:12:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chaz

Quote from: Rodimus Supreme on December 16, 2020, 06:13:55 PM
Quote from: Chaz on December 15, 2020, 11:19:16 PM

My LBSC Thomas arrived in the mail earlier!  Normally I would do one of my usual reviews on here sharing my thoughts on the model, but I decided against it since I wanted to wait on the Origin James' release before giving my thoughts, since I feel it only makes sense to look at them together at the same time.  Especially since these two in particular were used in the same special.  Once the Origin James is out I will share my thoughts on them.  
Do I spy Optimus Prime in the background?

Good eye ;)
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Rodimus Supreme

Quote from: Chaz on December 17, 2020, 06:02:26 PM
Quote from: Rodimus Supreme on December 16, 2020, 06:13:55 PM
Quote from: Chaz on December 15, 2020, 11:19:16 PM

My LBSC Thomas arrived in the mail earlier!  Normally I would do one of my usual reviews on here sharing my thoughts on the model, but I decided against it since I wanted to wait on the Origin James' release before giving my thoughts, since I feel it only makes sense to look at them together at the same time.  Especially since these two in particular were used in the same special.  Once the Origin James is out I will share my thoughts on them.  
Do I spy Optimus Prime in the background?

Good eye ;)
Eeeeeeyy. Is that Jada?

clrp5150

Hey guys. I have Thomas, Percy, James, Gordon, Emily and Salty in HO scale, quite a bit of rolling stock and some track. I'm planning on making a layout of Sodor on a big table with trees, roads, buildings, etc. I'm also planning on making a similar one of somewhere in Britain or America. I just don't know which to do. I live in the States but I prefer British trains because of Thomas. They're very hard to get here in the US, and I'm worried that if I ordered one, something in the motor would probably break in the mail, and I'm not a mechanic. There's not many options either, because the only places I can find them (Bachman Branchline and Hornby) are on Amazon and eBay. American ones is that they're cheaper and easier to find, but they're not as special to me. I still love them, but they're just not as interesting. Also, I'm having a really tough time deciding what kind of engines to get. There's just too many options. Atlas, Athearn, Bachmann, Walthers, Kato, Lionel, etc. I was just wondering, do you guys just have Thomas layouts? Or do you also have separate layouts with real-life trains on them? Or do you just put them on the same one? I was also considering just getting all the British ones I can get my hands on and then going for Americans. Sorry, this isn't relevant to the current thread, but I'm really curious.
Personal wishlist:
Locomotives: Stepney, Murdoch and Stanley
Rolling stock: Tar Tanker and Red Express coaches rerelease, Spencer's brake coach and the breakdown train
Buildings: Tidmouth Sheds and Knapford Station rerelease, as well as the watermill

Cheeky_ULP

For British model trains that ship to the US, your best bets are Rails of Sheffield and Hattons.

AJW98Productions

Quote from: Cheeky_ULP on December 19, 2020, 01:41:37 PM
For British model trains that ship to the US, your best bets are Rails of Sheffield and Hattons.
I agree with what Cheeky_ULP has to say. Your best bet is to find retailers who ship to the USA. As an Australian, I know the shipping can make prices a bit higher, but from some limited experience, and a few happy friends, Rails Of Sheffield and Hattons are generally good picks to my knowledge. Kernow Model Centre is also a good choice, in my experience, and they'll often offer some interesting bundle deals too. Ebay prices are normally quite inflated. AJM railways is an online retailer that also ships to North America, and from the accounts I've heard, does quite well. Just be careful, to my knowledge, default prices are usually in the Australian Dollar, not the American one. But on the homepage you can change the display to either US or Canadian currency.

Quote from: cp5150 on December 18, 2020, 11:43:07 PM
Do you guys just have Thomas layouts? Or do you also have separate layouts with real-life trains on them? Or do you just put them on the same one? I was also considering just getting all the British ones I can get my hands on and then going for Americans. Sorry, this isn't relevant to the current thread, but I'm really curious.
As for layouts for "real" engines vs layouts for Thomas ones, in my experience, very few people have the money, space, or resources to create, build and maintain separate ones. Usually people will model something where both types of trains can "feel at home" to them, if they model both. Some people will build a layout to more closely resemble something from Thomas & Friends, others may aim for something a little more prototypical. It's honestly your choice as to what you do, don't feel pressured to please anyone else, this hobby is after all, a hobby, so pursue what you think will bring you the most happiness in it.

As a personal example, whenever I can get the space to (likely far off in the future), I want to create a "hybrid Tidmouth" using a version of Tidmouth Sheds similar to early seasons of the show. Plus my interpretation of Tidmouth Station from the Railway Series. If you're unfamiliar with the Tidmouth Station in the Railway Series, imagine Knapford Station in the TV Series, it's quite similar. I want to create something where my real life British Stock looks at home on, but where my Thomas stock also looks at home on. It's a delicate balancing act. Though granted, what I want from a layout changes roughly every 5 years or so. So maybe by the time I have the space, I'll want to model something else. I haven't had a layout of my own for a while, but if you have any questions about what sort of track and locomotives I use/used, along with what buildings I use/used, I'd be more than happy to talk more in PM's on the site.

Semi-related to layout building, and your other points, but US rolling stock is scaled to HO Gauge (1:87 Scale). Most Thomas and Friends stock scales with British OO Gauge (1:76 scale) - it says HO on Bachmann packaging as HO is the main gauge in the USA, and is clearer to the market there. So scale wise, Thomas and British stock can look odd and a touch oversized alongside other US stock. Building clearance compatibility usually isn't a problem at least, but since building design regarding architecture and other such buildings is quite different between the two nations, US stock may look a bit out of place on a British based layout, and vice-versa, if you do decide to collect what you like from both. Because if you want to run them alongside each other, no one can stop you, it is purely your choice. I myself may slip some Australian locos in when my collection of Thomas and British stock grows a bit, and when I have a bit more disposable income. Also, you may want to change over your British and/or Thomas stock to use Kadee (knuckle) couplers, to make them compatible with your US stock, if you decide to collect both, as Thomas and British rolling stock, uses a different coupling system to the US stock.

Regarding what kind of layout you build, my personal opinion is to look to other layouts, and work out what you can realistically build and maintain, with the space, money, and resources you'll have at your disposal, and work out what you'd like to build. Model Railway Forums and magazines can have some amazing inspirations for layouts. Plus internet searches can provide some good content for inspiration too. We even have some layouts on the forum that can provide plenty of inspiration too. Model trains are expensive and take up a lot of space usually, so it's worth considering what you can make in the space you have, with the money you have. Always remember "rule #1", that is something akin to "this hobby is something you build for you, and yourself first, so run/make/build what makes you happy, first and foremost".

I really hope this helps,
-Alex

clrp5150

Thank you so much! I think I'll just make one with about half Thomas-related items, half real life British stuff. I might end up getting a couple American engines too, but probably no more than two or three. I also have a couple more questions. Do you use Bachmann's EZ-track system that they use in the US and Thomas lines? Or the normal model train track that every other company uses? Also, how much is shipping on Rails of Sheffeild? Apparently you have to make an account to order on it, and I don't want to make one just to find out that shipping is like $50 an item and get spammed with emails from them for the rest of my life.
Personal wishlist:
Rolling stock: Tar Tanker and Red Express coaches rerelease, Spencer's brake coach and the breakdown train
Buildings: Tidmouth Sheds and Knapford Station rerelease, as well as the watermill

AJW98Productions

No worries! I take something of a similar approach with my real-life vs Thomas items, only wanting a small handful of locos that don't fall under either of those categories. I'm unsure how much chipping from Rails Of Sheffield would be to the USA, the friends of mine that have tried it, haven't really discussed shipping with me. Since shipping is still occurring internationally, I imagine that - while not expensive - it would not be too cheap either. I wouldn't expect it to be as high as US$50 though. I also have generally found with sites like Rails Of Sheffield and Hattons, that if you have an account, you can set the Email settings, to prevent the chances of being spammed.

As for the type of track that I favour, I'll PM you about that. As I think discussing it openly, whilst not a direct violation of the codes of conduct, definitely rubs shoulders with almost violating them.

Stay safe out there all, especially those of you in hard-hit areas,
-Alex

Chaz

Looks like the Bachmann UK starter set is out now before the rest of the range.  It looks like the final box artwork has been updated too.

Don't think anyone on here brought this up yet but it also looks like Bachmann UK updated paintwork on Annie and Clarabel too.

Angelob6660

I'll get a Annie and Clarabel when my old ones needs to replaced. I don't think I took them out of the box in 5 years, because of my sister's dog.
"...but I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all."
-Kathy Selden

clrp5150

Do you think those Annie and Clarabels will be available in the US eventually? Also what do you mean you haven't taken them out of the box because of your sister's dog? Does it like to chew them up?
Personal wishlist:

JLK2707

I have noticed that the world of Thomas modelling blog is no longer around. Is anybody here in touch with Dan Snell who was the Thomas modeller?

Chaz

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BNIB-OO-Gauge-Bachmann-Thomas-Friends-76038BE-Red-Coach/203247692173?hash=item2f5281a98d:g:aOsAAOSw1tRgAFGU

Looks like Bachmann UK has released their Thomas range with a different insert for their blister packaging, which its just Mattel merch packaging that they use for their motorized push along toys, it's also disappointing that they are still blister packs instead of boxes.  Otherwise glad to see Bachmann UK's Thomas range is out.

Angelob6660

Quote from: cp5150 on January 05, 2021, 09:59:06 PM
Do you think those Annie and Clarabels will be available in the US eventually? Also what do you mean you haven't taken them out of the box because of your sister's dog? Does it like to chew them up?

I haven't took out of their box because I stuff around there. In front of my dresser on the left side you will see a stack of railroad and model railroader magazines, behind that is N Scale Kato Amtrak train set. Finally is the Bachmann Thomas train set that covers the wall. Surrounded by six boxes of train rolling stock and the top. The right is covered a 20" wooden lighthouse. Making access to the set difficulty but not impossible.

Considering my sister's dog he is a black and white boxer who is very energetic and eats everything he sees. I lost track, stock car and other minerals that can easily be rebought. He's a goat with dogs fur.

"...but I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all."
-Kathy Selden

thomasj219

Lol "goat with dogs fur"  :D

So it's been a while since I made Thomas content but I figured I would post this here and in some other Thomas groups.

I've always wanted to do my own narrations of the episodes, but when I was a kid instrumentals were a lot harder to come across than they are today. Finally I had the tools and the time to get these done. I did a US version and a UK version and they both premiere at 9 o'clock.

Please share them with anyone you think may enjoy them and please let me know what you think, if these prove popular I'd love to continue doing things in this vein. 

Thanks,

Keep Your Steam Up!

https://youtu.be/m8dWbC_pU2o

All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Harvey.

clrp5150

Do you guys think that Bachmann will recolor Skarleoy, Rheneas, Rusty, and Sir Handel, Peter Sam and Duncan when they come out, to Tallylyn, Dolgoch, Sir Haydn, Edward Thomas, Midlander and Douglas and release those under Bachmann Branchline? I'm honestly somewhat surprised they haven't at least done it with Tallylyn and Dolgoch, especially since they sell most of the NG items at the Tallylyn Railway Museum.
Personal wishlist: