News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

ACS-64 Ditch Lights

Started by robby, August 16, 2019, 06:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robby

I just purchased the Siemens Amtrak ACS-64. For the life of me, I cannot get the ditch lights to work. Has anyone else had this problem?  I have not been able to find anything useful on the web or YouTube.

rich1998

Welcome.

Has this guide been any assistance? It is quite extensive.
CV list is right nearby.

https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/WOWSound_Electric_Programming_Guide_1-24-2018.pdf

Rich

robby

Actually, I already got my answer from TCS, as someone was on a FB group I belonged to. I just had to use function 3 while in light mode to turn them on. Still seems kinda silly that they don't stay on by default.

rich1998

This is model railroading.

Rich

Hunt

Quote from: robby on August 17, 2019, 12:51:15 AM
. . .
Still seems kinda silly that they don't stay on by default.

robby,

Perhaps you have only observed an ACS-64 locomotive in an area where Ditch Lights (technically – Auxiliary Lights) are on or flash as required by regulation.

Note the ditch lights in the following video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2BebyGu8wI

Bachmann model:  The ASC-64 ditch lights are preset to automatically operate per the  WOWElectric Locomotive Function Mappings table in the Quick Start Guide For the Bachmann DCC Sound-Equipped ACS-64  Click Here

As always – it is your locomotive operate it as you want.

robby

Sorry, been a busy week to reply sooner. Thanks for everyone's feedback. In the video, the ditch lights flash with the horn, even though the loco is running with them off (yes, I live off the NJCL & NEC, where I usually see them on.)  I can't get them to just flash with the horn; I have to first turn them on and then they'll flash with the horn. It's all or nothing and that's what seems strange. It could definitely be me, as I'm new with DCC.  My step-son bought a NCE Power Cab and now after saying I wasn't going to convert, here I go. Then again, he is the person who got me back into the hobby years ago when he was still a boy. 

Hunt

Robby,

BTW – out of the box the ACS-64 forward ditch lights are ON and reverse ditch lights are OFF by default. The ACS-64 will only run forward ditch lights off as seen in video in direction of travel if you turn them off.

If you are still confused about ditch lights then --

Suggest you reset the decoder to its factory setting by programming CV8 to 2 or by reset using the Audio Assist.
What DCC system are you using? If using the NCE Power Cab DO NOT use its RECOVERY PROGRAMMING (Option 7) page 54 in the Power Cab System Reference Manual Rev. 1.65 to reset the decoder in the ACS-64

After a successful   reset the locomotive address is 3.

Now ---

Study the WOWElectric Locomotive Function Mappings tables in the Quick Start Guide For the Bachmann DCC Sound-Equipped ACS-64

Click Here for copy of the Quick Start Guide For the Bachmann DCC Sound-Equipped ACS-64 if you do not have the one included in box with the locomotive.

Note - In either Sound Mode or Light Mode
  F1 Bell and Blink Ditch Lights
  F2 Horn - Long Toot and Blink Ditch Lights

The ditch lights do not blink(flash) with F3 Horn - Short Toot or any other type bell or horn.

Once you see and understand how the ACS-64 is preset to work then if anything changes after programming the ACS-64 to the address you want to use,  issues where created by the address programming not properly done.