Started by hminky, December 19, 2007, 07:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hminky

I have a web article examining the new Bachmann On30 4-4-0 at:

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/on30_4-4-0/

Thank you if you visit
Harold

Dusten Barefoot

Thanks for showing us. I wonder if you could put a Hunter stack on it. I would like to see that.
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten Blake Barefoot
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

hminky

It is too "modern" of a design. It represents the step forward in the mid-1880's  from wood burners to the long thru the cab fireboxes with modern fuel. The design is in the beginings of catching the ash in the smokebox rather than the stack.

Harold

JimPost

Thanks for all the info...as usual a great job.

Dusten Barefoot

Thanks for the insite.  :o still love to see a Hunter stack on one of those engines though ::).
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten Blake Barefoot
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

hminky

The problem with putting a new "balloon" stack on the 4-4-0 will be maintaining balance. The new stack will probably tilt the locomotive forward.

Harold

Royce Wilson

Take the smoke box extension off(its easy) then add the PSC(brass) Radley Hunter stack.
add lead weight to the inside of the cab to off set the weight.

I plan to add a PSC backdated 4-4-0 cab to mine with the front doors removed.

Why not add the Bachmann cabbage stack? Bachmann did a good job on it and there would be no weight problem. ::)
                                                                              Royce

Royce Wilson

What I am waiting for is Banta to make one of those curly roof cabs for the 4-4-0 . ::)
                                                          Royce

C.S.R.R. Manager

I'm thinking a plastic stack would be better as a replacement, and it's great that Bachmann made the front of the smokebox in plastic, so we have the option of a short smokebox.  I'm also hearing that some of the smaller On30 manufacturers are working on replacement parts for the 4-4-0, like fluted domes and perhaps some cabs. 

Thanks for the coverage, Harold.  The photos really add to the anticipation.

rich19

Does anyone know who of the "On30 manufacturers" are meant? Xeodon, afterall, is more or less out of business.

scottychaos

I couldnt find the size of the PSC stack, so this is just a guess..

Scot

scottychaos

Quote from: Royce Wilson on December 20, 2007, 08:20:20 AM

Why not add the Bachmann cabbage stack? Bachmann did a good job on it and there would be no weight problem. ::)
                                                                              Royce

and the cabbage stack..
from a previous thread:

Quote from: ksivils on October 24, 2007, 08:22:45 PM
Scott,

Any way you can digitally bash the original 4-4-0 to have a cabbage stack, just so we could see what that would look like?

Kevin

Kevin,
here is the 4-4-0 with the same cabbage stack from the 2-8-0!

Thats a big stack for a small engine!  ;D
im not 100% sure the stack is the exact right size for the 4-4-0 photo, but its very close..I took this photo:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/catalog/?function=detail&id=1427
and assuming its the same headlight on both models, (which might NOT be a correct assumption! but it probably is..)I matched the headlight size between the 2-8-0 and the 4-4-0, so the headlights were the same size, then cut and pasted the stack..
thats what it would look like if the SAME stack as the 2-8-0 was used..

If you used a smaller cabbage stack (not sure one exists in actual model form) and tried to make it a bit more proportionally pleasing, you get this:

Scot

C.S.R.R. Manager

Boulder Valley Models may have something in the works, as well as Backwoods Miniatures in the UK.  Banta has made wood cabs for most, if not all of the Bachmann On30 line so far, and Mount Blue Model Co. has made some nice cabs for the Forney.  But we'll have to wait and see what's announced for the 4-4-0.  Let me know if you need links to any of these sites.

japasha

First, Harold's layout is very nice, capturing the California countryside very well. I appreciate his sharing what he's doing with his 4-4-0

Second, on the subject of stacks, I would like Bachmann to make a nice "Bear Trap" stack to go with the Colorado and Southern 2-6-0. I have some brass pieces I have used but the little buggers look really narrow gauge when the Bear trap is added as on the prototype. Just my wish for Christmas.

Ken

Personnal choice, a S scale Bear Trap looks a lot better then an
O scale one on the 2-6-0.

PSC  O scale Bear trap
    PCS-7512 includes Stack
    PCS- 7511 no Stack

Ken
      GWN