Bachmann loco on Lionel transformer

Started by CHAC, August 22, 2019, 08:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CHAC

I recently purchased an O Gauge Amtrak Locomotive (Williams by Bachmann 156) to run on track powered by a Lionel GW-180 transformer.  The lever on the transformer has a 4-phase cycling sequence when the lever is raised - Forward, Stop, Reverse, and Stop.  The lights on the Locomotive are bright and the sound is audible only on the two Stop phases.  When the transformer is switched to Forward or Reverse, the loco lights are dim and the sound is barely audible.
Is there an adjustment I can make on either the locomotive or on the transformer that will allow the lights to be bright and the sound audible in all four phases?
Is the Bachmann Amtrak locomotive not compatible with the Lionel GW-180 transformer?  Do I have to run a Lionel Locomotive instead?
Thanks!

Len

The action you are describing for the throttle lever does not sound right. According to the manual for the G-180:
https://www.lionelsupport.com/media/servicedocuments/6505737947250GW180.pdf

Raising the orange throttle lever should only increase the voltage to the track. The "Direction" control button, on the oppoiste side from the orange throttle lever, is normally used to control the direction of the locomotive by interrupting power to the track when pressed. This will cycle the loco through the 'Forward - Neutral - Reverse - Neutral - Forward' each time it is pressed. It is normal for the lights to be brighter in the 'Neutral' position, since the motors are not using any voltage. An alternative method of controlling direction is to raise and lower the throttle lever to turn the track voltage on and off in sequence. Generally speaking, leaving the throttle in the off position more than 30 seconds causes the loco to default to 'Forward' when power is applied again.

Are you sure you have the thottle connected properly? The center rail of the track should be connected to the "Track" 'A' terminal post, and the outer rails to the "Track" 'U' terminal post. The power indicator light be green, and stay on. If it turns red and flashes, something is creating an overload condition. If this persists more than 3 seconds, the power indicator will turn solid red.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

CHAC

I checked and rechecked the connections and terminals.  All are correct.
I think there must be an issue with the locomotive.