News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ track

Started by boomer1992, August 21, 2019, 04:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boomer1992

I am using e-z track for my first RR layout.  should I glue track to layout base??  If so, at what intervals.  will the train work well without gluing the track.  Also, do the tracks have to be soldered to each other or will rail joiners be sufficient??

Dave

Terry Toenges

You will get a few different answers to this. In the past, I have used a dab of white glue about every 6" to 1' or so on the outside of the track where it meets the base. I often change my mind so it's easy for me to take up the track and change it by doing it that way. Before I lay the track, I use the rubberized shelf liner (with the holes in it) on the base. Walmart has it in different colors. I cut it into strips a little wider than the roadbed and put it under the track. I just dribble a little white glue over it after I have it in place. It helps to keep the sound down. With E-Z Track, you don't have to solder it because the plastic "locks" keep it together. Some folks choose to solder it anyway so they don't have to worry about the joiners getting loose.
Feel like a Mogul.

Trainman203

I'm currently building a switching layout at our home in MS 2 blocks from the Gulf. We have no space inside the raised house, so its in the area under the house , open air but out of the rain except for occasional blowing mist I found out.  At this time of year, model railroading operating hours are 6 am to 10am when it starts going above 85F and 85% humidity.  Needles to say, you have to not have any  engines or cars on the layout except when you are actually operating .  Plus, the structures have to be plastic and also removed because of the additional nocturnal hazard of roving raccoons and feral cats.  Another thing you need to check for periodically is wasp nests under the layout.... what a surprise if you don't.

In that environment, I've chosen EZ track for the mainline.  The snap together plastic roadbed insures electrical continuity, plus the plastic roadbed is impervious to humidity and the  misting rain. And yet another good point, the terminal rerailer is really good to allow quick installation/removal of the power source which can't be left outside either.

I'm going to paint the track dark brown and pre-ballast it before installation, and probably glue it down only periodically as Terry suggests.  I think we will leave the house within 5 years so demobilization is always a thought.