News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Turnouts

Started by DPB, August 26, 2019, 01:40:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DPB

Hi I'm using ezi track with turnouts. Train runs OK when plugged into line without plugging in the turnouts. If I try to use  turnouts with train it won't run.  Turnouts work OK.

Any assistance would be welcome Thanks

Maletrain

You will have to tell us what your track setup looks like when you have the turnouts included.  It sounds like you might have a short circuit created by some sort of loop or wye in your configuration.

James in FL

Turnouts are likely power routing.
Makes a difference where you are feeding power into the layout.

DPB

Thank you for your reply

I changed layout to simple oval with two turnouts both to the right. Power supply through the Bachmann turnout system. Turnouts work OK but train still won't run. Train runs OK without turnouts being wired

Kind regards

DPB

Maletrain

Without a better description of what/where the turnouts go/connect trackage, we really can't help you very much.

For example, if the two turnouts that "go to the right" are making a path across the inside of the oval, then you are creating an electrical short circuit, because the rail that is on the inside of the oval on one side ends-up connected to the outside of the oval on the other side of the path across the oval.

Similarly, if a turnout leads into a loop, where the track from one path through the turnout comes back to the other path through the turnout, the same thing happens with connecting the two rails together at the turnout, an an electrical short circuit results.

When you get a short circuit, most controllers have a circuit breaker that disconnects track power.  You did not tell us what type of controller you are using, so we don't know what type of indication your controller might have that it is experiencing a short circuit.

However, there are other possibilities besides short circuits, so you really need to tell us more, or we can't be much help.  Please describe where your turnouts go when they leave the oval and also tell us what controller you are using to power the track.

Trainman203

IF-  you are talking about a little plug under the switch to electrically activate the frog (you provided no information), AND if you plug it in to energize the frog, AND if your train approaches the switch on the TRAILING side, AND if the switch is lined against your approach, THEN you will experience a short circuit.

With the sketchy information provided, this is my personal best.  I energized the frogs on the EZ track switches I have but after several years of operation I believe it to be unnecessary.  However, with ballast and scenery in, can't get underneath to undo it.

DPB

Thanks for the replys

Firstly the I'm using ALL Bachmann products including track, turnouts, Transformers.

Secondly I've now a  simple oval with two turnouts which allow me to have a second line joining the main oval Ie One turnout right and one left.

Train runs OK on both tracks

Once again plug in one of the turnouts using the green and red plug and play system (these plugged in as per instructions on turnout) train stops and turnout works

DPB

if I add a second transformer I can run the switches on one transformer and the train on another. Both work doing this, However, not supposed to work this way.

jward

i don't care how you think things are "supposed to" work. If adding a second power supply makes things work, then do that. If you are using the power supplies that come with the train sets be aware that they provide minimal current output (amps) and if you exceed that rating things won't work. Adding a second power supply has obviously worked, and it is much cheaper than getting a good aftermarket supply that is capable of handling both. It's something i've done on previous layouts, including using a homemade power supply scavenged from an old stereo system to throw the switches.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Trainman203

The frog plug underneath doesn't appear to be what you are having issues with.  Red and green wires seem to mean the sliding switch to change travel direction, right?  I've never used remote control switches so unfortunately I can't help if that is the issue.

Terry Toenges

Trainman - The green wire from the turnout plugs into the slide switch. The red wire plugs into the slide switch and the other end goes to power supply. The switches are set up on both sides so you can "daisy chain" them together.
Feel like a Mogul.

bbmiroku

I hope I'm not up-playing the obvious here, but are you possibly connecting the track and the switches both to the DC side of the controllers?

jward

Quote from: bbmiroku on September 02, 2019, 10:06:07 PM
I hope I'm not up-playing the obvious here, but are you possibly connecting the track and the switches both to the DC side of the controllers?

That shouldn't matter. Twin coil type switch motors can run either AC or DC, and they only draw power when the controller button is depressed.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA