News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

S4 has a Blown Decoder

Started by wm3798, August 27, 2019, 05:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wm3798

I have a Bachmann S4 that has a dual mode decoder.  I no longer have a DCC controlled layout, although I have occasion to visit others who do.
I have been running it on my DC cab control layout, and it was doing fine.  Then one day, while running lazy loops around the track, it up and died.  I've tried resetting CVs (I still have a DCC cab, I just don't use it on my present layout) and it won't even read back.

Has there been a problem with your decoders failing under dual mode use?  Is there a process by which I can see about replacing it (other than dumping another $45 into an engine I bought for $50?)

Is there a bypass board available that I can put in it so I can run it on my DC layout?

Many are the questions.  Let's see how you make with the answers.
Thanks in advance.
Lee

brokemoto

I am not a DCC user.  I have fried several B-mann "smart" decoders.  I was using an MRC 2400 with the pulse OFF.  I just took out the decoder and re-wired.  What is really funny is that the creep on these things on DC, once you remove the fried decoder is EXCELLENT on DC, even without pulse.

I have had this happen on the ten-wheeler, mogul, doodlebug, 44-tonner and F-7.

wm3798

I ended up selling the carcass for a little bit less than I paid for a replacement from Trainworld.  Good bargain at about $55.  I'm using Bachmann Spectrum Magnum power packs, no problem so far.

It MUs quite nicely with my Atlas VO1000, the original Korean version.