DCC conversion questions, American Standard 4-4-0

Started by AlanMintaka, August 29, 2019, 12:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlanMintaka

Hello,

I sent this query to the Bachmann parts dept a few weeks ago.  They're not doing anything about it, so I thought I'd try here.

I have 2 American Standard 4-4-0 HO locos and tenders (#119 and Jupiter).  I'd like to convert them to DCC and am just getting started compiling a parts list.

On the Bachmann parts website they list two tenders for the DCC versions:

COMPLETE TENDER (HO SCALE 4-4-0 DCC-SV) $76.70
C.P. #60 (JUPITER)
Model: 00D01-52702

COMPLETE TENDER (HO SCALE 4-4-0 DCC-SV) $76.70
UNION PACIFIC #119
Model: 00D01-52701

The standard trains have the motor in the tender, not the loco. The motor is connected to the loco with a plastic drive shaft.  The loco only has gearing to drive the wheels.  I have a few questions about this design related to the tenders Bachmann is selling and DCC conversion of these trains:

1. Do the tenders listed above contain all of the parts needed for DCC conversion?  i.e., motor, decoder, and drive shaft?

2. Could they just be connected to the standard locos with the existing drive shafts to complete the DCC conversion?

3. In the DCC-ready models, the motor and decoder are in the loco, not the tender.  To convert the standards, do I have to do more than just add the tenders listed above?  In other words, would I have to completely gut the locos, and add the motor and DCC decoder?

4. If the standard locos have to be completely rebuilt with motors and DCC decoders, what do the DCC tenders really do?  Are they just empty tenders without the motors and drive shafts, so that the DCC-equipped locos just pull them as attached cars?

Thanks for your help and time,
Alan Mintaka

"I believe a leaf of grass
is no less than the journey-work of the stars."
--Walt Whitman

rich1998

Welcome.

I doubt they will answer you. They are really busy. This is model railroader stuff. The reason for the forums.
I did the tender drive at least ten to twelve years ago. Isolate the two motor leads. The loco had no light.
I used a Lenz N scale decoder. Hard wire. Today a Digitrax DZ126 would be nice. Quite small. I have used the older DZ125.
Put pickups on all wheels for tender.
Fine tuned loco drive.
I used a smaller diameter motor out of an old CD driver from a desktop PC. It had the same diameter drive shaft. I think 1.5mm. Five pole 27mm x 12mm x 15.5mm.

Same size motor for my Mantua General.

The IHC tender drive I kept the same motor.

The new 4-4-0 DCC Look at the diagram page. I just did. I see a place for a speaker.
Soundtraxx has sound decoders and speakers.
The Parts Page does say an eight pin plug for the DCC Ready tender.

HMinky should have suggestions if he shows up. He specializes in this 4-4-0. He has the old and new ones.

Here is a link to his site with maybe a couple more links in the page. The decoder he used is not made anymore. I think the newer version is slightly smaller. Soundtraxx site has the specs.
I have used a LokSound N scale Micro in a couple Bachmann diesels.

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/1879/bachmann_4-4-0/sound/

You might find the Sound Value online at a better price.

No idea of your experience. Soldering can be tough for some.

Rich

TwinZephyr

The DCC tenders you are looking at are mostly useless with your standard 4-4-0.  You can not connect the new tender to the old locomotive without extensive work.  The new tenders contain wiring and circuit boards such as a decoder and speaker, but no motor.  A motor will not fit in the new tender without first eliminating Bachmann's electronics.

rich1998

Quote from: TwinZephyr on August 31, 2019, 09:27:11 AM
The DCC tenders you are looking at are mostly useless with your standard 4-4-0.  You can not connect the new tender to the old locomotive without extensive work.  The new tenders contain wiring and circuit boards such as a decoder and speaker, but no motor.  A motor will not fit in the new tender without first eliminating Bachmann's electronics.

The old 4-4-0 and new 4-4-0 are two vastly different animals. I was not saying you could combine them.
I will not post the links here. You can easily see them in the Parts Information Pages Pages.
Look at the diagrams. Do some research first.

Rich