News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

dcc ready 4-6-0

Started by bob kaplan, August 24, 2019, 07:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob kaplan

I have a Bachmann item # 52202.  It is an HO DCC ready engine.  If it is "sound ready" can someone point out a decoder with sound that I could just "plug and play" onto this engine.  It will be my first time messing with and HO engine with DCC and I want to purchase the correct decoder so I don't burn anything out.   Thanks for your help.

WoundedBear

Bob......the 4-6-0 is DCC ready, and a spot is provided in the bottom of the tender to mount a speaker. The speaker is not provided with the model however.

Finding a speaker to fit the cramped tender will be your biggest challenge. Any NMRA compliant decoder with an 8 pin plug will work. No worry about burning anything up.

I can't locate the speaker in Bachmann parts, but they have the whole tender chassis with speaker. Maybe a call to parts would get you a speaker.

https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=5961

Sid

bob kaplan

Thank you for that info Mr. Bear.  Most helpful!

rich1998

I have two 4-6-0's, one with small drivers and one with large drivers.
The speaker size is 28mm.
On the PC board, clip the caps. They will have a C prefix.
If you see what looks like two green resistors, they are Ferrite Inductors. Zero resistance. Moot point with no caps. They make a tuned circuit. Those will have a L prefix. Some are wire wound coils.
My Bachmann steamers had both.

SoundTraxx site has suggested decoder and speaker for Bachmann locos. Bachmann has used this brand for some years.
It has been some years but last I knew you had to solder seven wires to a plug to plug into the socket.
Another option is to cut back the shrink on the decoder just enough to remove the nine pin JST connector, permitted and suggested, and plug in a JST to eight pin adapter SoundTraxx sells.
I have soldered the wires in the past.
TCS decoders has install photos for some Bachmann steamers but not the 4-6-0 but near the same size. I just looked. Same speaker.

Rich