News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Problem with new Bachmann GP-30

Started by kelzie, September 08, 2019, 12:10:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelzie

I just got a "new" (supposedly open box but never used) gp30 with DC and Soundtraxx.  Put it on the track (DCC) and selected "3"--everything seems to work, the sounds work, the lights work, but it doesn't MOVE.  The "engine" throttles up and down, but the wheels don't turn.  The instructions don't include information on the CVs.  I assume it's a simple problem--can anyone help?  How can I reset it to factory defaults?  If I can't get it to move, it's going back to the seller!

Hunt

Reset the decoder
Resetting the sound decoder CVs to their factory default value is a two-step procedure.

1)  Program 8 to CV 8
   2)  Cycle power to the decoder by turning power to the track off and back on **

After about six-seconds upon restoring power the headlight will blink 16 times indicating that the CVs were successfully reset. However, if sound or light come on immediately upon restoring power, the decoder did not successfully reset. Repeat the two-step procedure.

Documentation

Click Here for Bachmann HO GP30 EMD 567D3 Turbo Sound Value Equipped  supported CVs and their default value document.

Hunt

Quote from: Hunt on September 08, 2019, 10:50:31 AM
Reset the decoder
Resetting the sound decoder CVs to their factory default value is a two-step procedure.

1)  Program 8 to CV 8
   2)  Cycle power to the decoder by turning power to the track off and back on.

After about six-seconds upon restoring power the headlight will blink 16 times indicating that the CVs were successfully reset. However, if sound or light come on immediately upon restoring power, the decoder did not successfully reset. Repeat the two-step procedure.

Documentation

Click Here for Bachmann HO GP30 EMD 567D3 Turbo Sound Value Equipped  supported CVs and their default value document.

Next ----

If decoder reset not a solution then check motor wiring

Remove locomotive shell. Locate, pull off and reseat one at a time the black plastic clip holding in place each of the two wires connecting the motor to the circuit board. Be sure the bare end of the wire is in good contact with the solder pad on the circuit board and remains in contact during replacement of the clip.

Click Here for exploded view diagram. There is no wiring diagram that is a DIY project

jward

Maybe the owner reprogrammed the decoder address. Have you tried entering the locomotive number as its address?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Hunt

Quote from: jward on September 09, 2019, 12:34:46 AM
Maybe the owner reprogrammed the decoder address. Have you tried entering the locomotive number as its address?

Throttle movement would not change engine RPMs sound if address 3 were not the active address.

Note
Quote from: kelzie on September 08, 2019, 12:10:59 AM

. . .  the sounds work, the lights work, but it doesn't MOVE. The "engine" throttles up and down . . ..

WoundedBear

Sounds like a mechanical problem, not an electrical or programming issue. Have you pulled the shell to see if the mechanism is intact?

Sid

Irbricksceo

IF the motor is spinning but the wheels aint, sounds like a problem in the mechanism, something like a cracked drive shaft or gear thats broken/not meshing. I'd remove the shell and observe the mechanism to try and find the problem if you are handy
Modeling NYC in N