News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Class J 4-8-4 Slow In Curves

Started by cmsluss, September 08, 2019, 06:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmsluss

Greetings all -

I have a Bachmann Plus Class J 4-8-4.  The locomotive has started to lose speed on curves.  On straight track, the speed is good, then the speed will drop in a curve and then the normal speed resumes on straight track.

I clean the wheels and the track.  The drivers and side rods don't seem to be binding.  Even though the speed drops, the locomotive is smooth through turns, so I don't believe it's "out of quarter".

I appreciate your thoughts!

Many thanks!

ebtnut

What is the radius of your curves?  If they are 18" (or less) it is likely that the loco is binding a bit on the curves due to its long wheelbase.

Irbricksceo

Quote from: ebtnut on September 09, 2019, 09:53:40 AM
What is the radius of your curves?  If they are 18" (or less) it is likely that the loco is binding a bit on the curves due to its long wheelbase.

This 100%, there will always be some slight resistance on curves, but given how drastic yours is being described as, and the long wheelbase of that loco, sounds like your curves might be too tight for it.
Modeling NYC in N

rich1998

Any other of your locos do the same thing?

Rich

cmsluss

Hi Rich...

I have a Niagara, which is just about the same length as the J, and it glides through turns, which the J had been doing.  It's a bit of a mystery.

Thanks for your interest and input!