Bachman HO Doodlebugs. When were they produced (DCC)

Started by UPIT, September 10, 2019, 07:58:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UPIT

Good morning. Can someone give me some information on when Bachman started selling the DOODLEBUG with DCC?  Was it a good seller?  Any idea if the Doodlebug will be manufactured again?  I sure would like to get one with FACTORY INSTALLED DCC (if they were reliable).

Is there an item number or product number that identifies the DCC version of the DOODLEBUG so I can look for one?

THANK YOU......Frank in Houston Texas   

plint

On the parts website(Bachmann), it states that they were discontinued in 2013.  They have some parts but not all. I don't know about their DCC production but
I did buy one this year and my LHS installed a DCC chip for me.  It runs nicer now and a bit quieter.

By the grace of God go I in Amherst NH.

rich1998

Did you solve the noise issue? Just wondering. Usually adding a decoder does not help.

Rich

kewatin

i have had 4 of them and only one  runs decently,and that was after going to spookshows web site to try &quiet down the gear noise.i gave up returning them to bachman
and just selected another loco of same value. the keeper unit still runs fine just noisy &is dcc. i guess its the luck of the draw when buying. i see the large maryland site has several for sale on their website. good luck and depends how bad you want one and ability to put up with some noise.
regards&later KEWATIN

rich1998

Delete please. Mistake. Did not have glasses on. Duh.

[/quote]

rich1998

Quote from: kewatin on September 24, 2019, 04:06:40 PM
i have had 4 of them and only one  runs decently,and that was after going to spookshows web site to try &quiet down the gear noise.i gave up returning them to bachman
and just selected another loco of same value. the keeper unit still runs fine just noisy &is dcc. i guess its the luck of the draw when buying. i see the large maryland site has several for sale on their website. good luck and depends how bad you want one and ability to put up with some noise.
regards&later KEWATIN

A couple of fellows replaced the motor with a Stanton drive from NWSL.. They come in different wheel bases the last I knew. Modify the side frame. Google the issue. One is in another forum with photos as I recall. They are great with sound.

Rich

UPIT

:)THANK YOU...I understand NMSL is again selling the replacement wheel sets for. Bachman Doodlebugs. 

Searsport

If you are in Houston I would suggest you get the Rock Island. It is Bachmann Spectrum #81408. I am not sure if it is DC or DCC, it doesn't say on the box and I have only ever run mine on DC, but mine runs fine and looks fantastic! You can find them on ebay for circa $100 in new, sealed condition. It does not have sound. Its only drawback in model operating terms is you have to turn it, unlike an RDC, as it doesn't have a driving position at each end. The Rock Island model doesn't have a trailer car.

Best regards,
Bill.