News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

30" oval track question

Started by jerry w in FL, September 11, 2019, 02:22:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerry w in FL

i need to create a relatively small oval track (30" x ?) & wondering how many pieces of the 15" radius curved track i'll need for each end. i've already got straight track for the middle pieces.
Thanks in advance.
Jerry W - Largo, FL

Hunt

If HO -  one 15" Radius Curved Track piece  makes up 30 degrees of a circle

6 pieces of 15" Radius Curved Track make half a circle

Realize the radius measurement is measured to centerline of track not to outside edge of its roadbed

A circle of HO E-Z Tack 15" Radius Curved Track is 32" measured to outside of roadbed.

jerry w in FL

Thanks for the info. I already had two 4-packs, so i put 6 pieces together & laid them over the current battery operated train track - perfect match!!!  Just ordered another new 4-pack on ebay to complete the other end of the oval.
This is gonna be so great to replace the old Dickensville set that runs around the "town square" of my Christmas village.  No more changing batteries or trying to pause the engine to hit the kill switch.  These might be good for a temp setup around a tree or something but not a permanent display.
Soon it'll be replaced with a Bachmann Jingle Bell Express.  Despite only being HO scale, i think it'll still compliment the Bachmann Wonderland Express On30 that encircles the whole bottom tier of the village.
Thanks again,
Jerry W - Largo, FL

Terry Toenges

I can relate Jerry. This was 1998 when the train bug started biting. -  The battery operated Dickens trains.

This was 2018. I've come a long way since then. -
Feel like a Mogul.

jerry w in FL

Mine started in 2000/2000 when i realized i didnt have a Christmas tradition of my own. Started with 5 buildings from Lowes & i think the train came from a neighbors yard sale. Things started out slow, one new building a year, maybe a few figurines & trees.  Last few years it's exploded in to everything i can find at thrift stores, ebay & even new - dont care the brand as long as it's in nice condition, reasonably priced & intriguing.  Hence, the need for my current reno/expansion that is gonna expand the display another 6 feet by 4 tiers. Hopefully, i'll slow down to save room for future "must haves" - unless i get a bigger house!
BTW - about the same time as the village start, i also started collecting a new Santa, nutcracker & special tree ornament each year.  Those have remained under control to one each a year!!
Come December 24th, my house looks like Michaels & JoAnns exploded inside   ;D
& yeah, the village stays up year round & thankfully, Alexa controlled!!

PS - i tried attaching a couple of pix - old vs now, but it says upload folder is full

jerry w in FL

Gonna try this weird way of attaching links to photos. Seems for newbies like me, if the attach function doesnt work, why is it there?  Any other forum, you just click attach & post - boom, botta bing, done...

jerry w in FL

Guess that didnt work as there's no pics showing in my reply, so, sorry to say, i'll just have to paste in the link    https://photos.app.goo.gl/JTQ97r1MGPUFr1HVA   for you to copy/paste in your browser.
Sorry, but apparently this former web designer doesnt understand how this forum works

Hunt

erry w in FL,

Here is one of your photos

jerry w in FL

Thanks - i appreciate the assistance - maybe one day i'll figure it out

Terry Toenges

Is that a ski slope on the top level of the other pic or another train?
Here's your other pic. Go to your pic on your Google site and "right click" on it then "copy image location". Click on the BBC tag box above with the white image square. When the two "img" boxes appear, do "control v" between them.
Feel like a Mogul.

jerry w in FL

Thanks for the tip - i'll give it a try a bit later.
Actually, that is a ski chalet at the top, but that's an old wooden toy Santa on a sleigh tree ornament. The new set up has a slope with a skier & some kids on a sled.
Would love to get a ski lift but the ones i've found are way outta my budget - maybe one day.
Thanks again for the posting trick.
Jerry W - Largo

Terry Toenges

I thought the same thing about ski lifts being pretty high. I looked also.
Feel like a Mogul.

jerry w in FL

Well, i got the new oval track installed in the village & the HO Jingle Bell Express running.  But boy is it small!! Didnt realize there'd be such a noticeable difference - the village figurines are taller than the train. Plus, the JBE is more a cargo train vs passenger & since it loops around the downtown & stops at the train station where passengers are waiting, doesnt make since (unless they all cram in the caboose!!).
Was wondering where i might could search for an ON30 engine & maybe one passenger car - tried Ebay, but they just have Thomas Kinkade stuff or whole Bachmann sets & they're pricey right now.
Wondering also if one of Bachmanns street cars would maybe work on the closed loop of regular EZ-Track? Instead of going back & forth, just go in a circle...

Thanks again in advance for all the great advice.

BTW - i did figure out an issue on my own the other nite - sitting watching the village & the street car started squealing - that same metal to metal sound of a real train! Checked the wheels, nudged the track, still squeaked.  Put a couple drops of beard clipper oil on a cotton ball & rubbed it on the entire track. It's only about 6 months old but the cotton ball came out dark grey!  But no more squeak.  & the lights in the trolley stopped flickering & it stopped hanging up at the reverse point to boot!

Happy Fall (course that's January for us in Florida!)
Jerry W - Largo, FL

Terry Toenges

The trolley/street car will work on a loop, also.
I don't know what your budget is, but this isn't that much. You would be doing good just to find a loco for that price. No one is bidding on it yet.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adult-owned-Bachmann-Wonderland-Express-train-set-New-in-box-/372769484075?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10#viTabs_0
Feel like a Mogul.

jerry w in FL

Thanks for the quick reply Terry. I've actually already got the Wonderland Express that i'm waiting to finish the village to loop around the outside of the bottom tier once the expansion is done soon.!
But yes, that is a very good price. Luckily, i bought mine from a train guy & he repaired the engine at no extra charge, including shipping it back & forth.
i might try to figure out if i can make a figure 8 of sorts & cover both tracks with one train.