News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

WOODEN BOXCARS

Started by bevernie, December 20, 2007, 10:40:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bevernie

Is there any easy way to identify WOODEN BOXCARS, other than scratching them? I've got some OLD cars, and I think some of them may be of wood, but I'm not sure!(Also, most of them are needing a part or two!!
                                                                                                THANX!!
                                                  ???                                           Ernie
www.3abn.com   www.amazingfacts.com    www.bibleinfo.com

SteamGene

I'd suggest looking for grain on the bottom.  I assume they do not have moveable doors so you can't look inside.  Does the outside look like it's printed on paper?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Woody Elmore

If the car is all wood with metal details (brake cylinder, ladders) it maybe a kit from Mainline or Ambroid or Northeastern. If it has metal ends it could be a Silver Streak model. If it has foil sides it might be Binkley or Laconia.

What kind of car and is it factory lettered?

When those old kits were built there was no way of telling who the maker was. A picture would help. You realize it could be scratch built.

ebtnut

Frankly, I think you can probably tell just by tapping on the sides.  A wood car will sound distinctly different from a plastic one (tap an Athearn for comparison).  Another way might be to unscrew a truck and look at the inside of the screw hole.  Wood should be pretty obvious.