WOULD LIKE HO LAYOUT PLANS 4 BY 8 SIZE FOR BACHMANN E-Z TRACK

Started by train_guy2511, September 25, 2019, 10:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

train_guy2511

hello, i would appreciate it veryyy much if any one could supply me with layout plans for ho 4 by 8 feet only. i know there are lots of sites that have plans but i do not find them clear enough for me to understand, i always run into an obstacle i cant figure out. so if you have any pixs or drawings of the size layout i need 4 by 8 an the directions are veryy clear to understand as well as how many pieces of track i will need, like 9 straight, 22 curves 18 curves 3 inch straight turnouts mentioning left or right, crossovers left or right crossings 90 degrees etc etc. i dont want to go thru the hassle of attaching track, then taking apart until i get it right. if you supply layouts that are lucid with pixs mentioning where every piece is attached, it will be a godsend. thnx :)

Terry Toenges

You could try Anyrail. You get 50 pieces of track free without having to pay for it.
https://www.anyrail.com/en
Just Googling "4 X 8 HO Layouts" brings up a bunch of sites.
https://www.google.com/search?as_q=&as_epq=4+X+8+HO+Layout&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=&as_occt=any&safe=images&as_filetype=&as_rights=
As for as the curves, it's not that hard to figure out. It takes 6 pieces of 18" or 15" radius to make a half circle. It takes 8 pieces of 22" radius to make a half circle.
For an 18" radius oval, you can fit a 9" straight on each end and six 9" straights longways. You would need 24 18" curves and 14 9' straights. That leaves 1 1/4" on each side and about 2 5/8" on each end.
With 22" radius curves, the only straights you can fit are 5 on each side longways. So for this, you would need 16 22" radius and 10 9" straights. That leaves about 1 5/8" on each side and 3 1/8" on each end.
You could use smaller pieces for a little more length but that would put you pretty close to the edge.
Having said all that, you have to figure just want you want that will fit within those boundaries. Do you want a figure 8 type crossing? How many turnouts do you want? Do you want some type of yard? Do you want all one level?
I've had to do a lot of attaching and taking apart track over the years to get to where I wanted it. It's part of the process of building your own layout.
Feel like a Mogul.

Hunt

If you want more than just oval of track --

Click Here for a few 4' by 8' track plans using Bachmann HO E-Z Track.  Perhaps you are going to need to obtain over-the-should help for any layout should you find these beyond your understanding. 

Realize you do not have to use all or any of the scenery and structures.

Terry Toenges

Here's one that I just made using Anyrail. It might give you some ideas. I can give you the track list if you want it. There's a bit of an "S" before the turnout on the right that leads into the crossing but it's only a 1/3 18" curve, not a full curve. The ones in the middle have 4 1/2" pieces  between the opposing curves. On the bottom left, there is a 3" piece after the #4 right turnout and before the 1/2 22" curve. I don't think that would be a problem. The top two turnouts are #4's with straight legs. That's a 1 1/4" piece between the the top right #4 turnout and the standard turnout.

Feel like a Mogul.

jward

Nice one Terry.

With regards to Anyrail, there is a feature where you can highlight all the places a piece of track is used. It helps when finding the where the smaller fitter pieces are used in a plan, or where that odd piece of 22r is.
Under the Home toolbar there is a search option. Checque the active box, scroll through the drop menu for the piece you're looking for, and select it. All places that piece occur in the plan will be highlighted.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Terry Toenges

Thanks Jeff. I never used that function. I never really had any need for it. Just passing the cursor over a piece tells me what it is. Without knowing just what Trainguy is looking for, I'm just trying to give him some ideas.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

Here it is with part numbers
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

Here's a slightly different one with a double switchback. - Mod 2

Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.

Len

If you're looking for something a bit simpler, there's always Bachmann's 44596 'Your First Railroad Track Pack', based on the "Madison Central" done by Model Railroader some time back:

It can be found at discount pricing at a number of model railroading sites. These are just a couple, googling the item number will show several others...
https://www.hobbylinc.com/bachmann-4x8-hobby-track-pack-w:dvd-ho-scale-nickel-silver-model-train-track-44596
https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/bachmann-ho-44596-worlds-greatest-hobby-track-pack/

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Morgun 30

I had some posted some designs some time ago. I'm sure that they are no longer on the site. If I can get my photobucket acct figured out, I'll see if I can re-post.

I guess that some are still on the site. Don't know if you can search my profile and search my posts to find them. I'll keep trying to see what I can do to help.

Morgun 30

Terry Toenges

Morgan - Here you are the ones you posted back in 2014.

Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

More of Morgan's.
This is the thread where these are. If you follow the link below, the pics start on the 2nd page on March 14, 2014.-
https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php?action=profile;u=13242;sa=showPosts

Feel like a Mogul.

Morgun 30

Thanks Terry, I was thinking that if anyone could find them, it would be you. Some are 5X9, but I think they could be re-sized. My plans are more "a guy than plays with trains" than " a model RR lay-out," like yours.