News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-Truck Climax with Sound Module Installed

Started by teddavis07, September 28, 2019, 05:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teddavis07

I removed the coal load from the tender to clean the dust off the coal load and without replacing it I decided to clean the wheels.  When I fired the loco up, no sound!  I then discovered when I replaced the coal load, the sound returned.  Is a circuit completed when the coal load is in place?

the Bach-man

Dear Ted,
The coal load closes the tender and makes it, in effect, a speaker box.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

teddavis07

Hello Bach-man,

Yes, I agree with the speaker box answer, however, I investigated a little further.  When I looked at the underside of the coal load, it has a foam piece that pushes the sound module down when in place.  The result:  Sound!  I discovered I could do the same thing with a stylus pen.  By pushing down on the the sound module closest to the front of the tender, sound occurs.  When I release, the sound board raises slightly and the sound stops.  I was just wondering if that is completing a circuit between the two boards or it might mean one or more of the 21 pins on the connector is loose.

Thanks, Ted

rich1998

I would have to agree after doing sound for some years before trains.
With no box or baffle, no base sound but box it up, much better. You should have heard something without the coal load but I stayed out of it before.

Rich