News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

won't run

Started by Hogs1994, September 28, 2019, 06:08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogs1994

I have an Overland set, and it will not run. We tested the track with an electric voltmeter, and it appears the problem is with engine. When we set the engine on the track, it will not even attempt to move- no noise, no headlight, nothing. Is there any little thing we could be overlooking? Please advise.

Trainman203

Need more information.

Are you the original owner or did you buy it used? And where?

When was the last time it was operated by you?  Or by whoever?  Did you ever witness it operating correctly at all?

These things are important.  Just like an automobile not operated for long periods of time will seize up from electrical oxidation, so will trains.  And used trains are always a risky thing, you don't know how it may have been abused or how many years it sat idle in a 140F attic.

If it's very old with all of the above information unknown, purchase of a new engine may actually be the best option, putting the old engine on eBay as a parts source.

rich1998

Welcome.

Assuming DC and a steamer. loco picks up on one rail and tender on other rail. A wire connects from tender to loco. Both tender trucks pick up on one rail. Loco drivers, other rail, driver side. I think. Been many years since I played with DC locos.

Rich

RAM

Rich in the good old days that was true.  Some steamers only pickup from the locomotive. 

rich1998

True. I just remember some Bachmann 0-6-0's I gave away. I forgot about those. The tenders had plastic wheels.
He might have the one with pancake motor. I know the pickups on the loco were lousy
I could not tell from a Google search. Not familiar with the older Bachmann kits.

Rich