News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Jonathan's Layout #3

Started by jonathan, September 29, 2019, 02:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

Well folks...

It's been a long journey, but I'm in a new house, with a new basement.  Mostly moved in...  :)

It looks like I have room for a 6' X 16' layout, with access in the the middle:

DSC_1527 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_1525 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

The first tier will be a double-track mainline--peanut shaped--with plenty of room for switching with industries.

The second (maybe 3rd) tier will be some kind of roundy-round thing for my smaller equipment.  

Enjoying the planning process for now.

I'M BACK!!

Regards,

Jonathan

Terry Toenges

I'm looking forward to watching it grow.
Feel like a Mogul.

Kemptown Branch

Yes! I enjoyed reading your old layout thread (and your locomotive modifications), so I'm really excited to see how this progresses.
Bachmann trains are awesome. I hope they come out with Stepney one day.

J3a-614

WoundedBear

About time you got busy again ;D

Sid

Ken Huck

Len

Looks like you could put in a long riser, or testle maybe, for a branch line going to a shelf along the wall above the main layout.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Hunt

Jon, What control system(s) will you use?

Joe323

Are you going to have a lift-out section ?

jonathan

First responses:

I haven't planned out the second, or third tiers, yet. I do like the shelf-branch line idea.

My home layouts have always been DC.  I don't plan on changing that.  I leave DCC for the club layout operations.

Been thinking about a 2'X2' lift out, or hinge out, piece.  Not completely sold on it, yet.  I'm getting older, but can still stoop under to get at the middle area.  ;D  The mainline will measure 39" high at the railheads. I'll be able to get on one knee to slip under the benchwork.  My thinking is stability in this case. I gain rigidity by keeping the benchwork connected all the way around.

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

Made a dent in the back portion of the benchwork.  The sky boards (2X8 masonite or something) will attach to the vertical struts. I'll add diagonal supports with the leftover lumber after the main sections are done.

I'm even playing with lighting.  Haven't noodled out the lights for the front.  Anyway... progress:

Regards,

Jonathan

DSC_1530 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_1529 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

bbmiroku

Question: How are you going to run a couple DC trains with only 1 pair of outlets? Let alone any scenic lights and overheads.  Use a bunch of power strips?

jonathan

Bb,

Yes. My previous layout ran on two outlets and two power strips. I use dual throttle MRC power packs for the trains. Lighting, both overhead and scenic, is LED. I try to be efficient with amp draw.

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

A bit more progress today:

Completed a little more benchwork... then ran out of lumber.

Added the sky boards and started patching all the little holes and irregularities:
DSC_1532 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_1531 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Gotta get some more wood and some paint for the backdrop.  Getting there...

Regards,

Jonathan

bbmiroku

Are you going to add any diagonal bracing for the legs? Or just hope any weight on the tabletop will be light enough not to matter?
(Hint: cross braces are your friends) ;)