News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Jonathan's Layout #3

Started by jonathan, September 29, 2019, 02:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

OK. I took the advice of the consensus, and decided to try to use a bit of nature for my scenery.

Went into the woods behind my house and collected the smallest sprigs I could find. Though tiny outdoors, I think they will look like tree trunks on my layout.  That's probably fine. 

I also scraped some dirt off the ground, filling up a "big gulp" sized cup.

I sifted the dirt through a pasta strainer.  Apparently I don't own a screen-type strainer.  The dirt will be a little chunky, but I think that's ok, too.

DSC_0365 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

I baked the materials in a 210 degree oven for a couple hours. Then left them in the oven to cool down.  Hopefully, I killed all the critters.

The dirt and sticks are now on the layout, full of glue.  Going to take a few days to dry.  I will probably spray dullcote on the scene.  Perhaps bugs don't like that stuff:

DSC_0366 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0367_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Regards,

Jonathan

Ken Huck

Nice !  While the glue/water mixture is still wet you can add a little sprinkle of debris and you
won't have to 'dullcoat' it.  Can't wait to see the "dried" shots.

Thanks for the pics.

Ken

graywolf

Please don't invite me over for a pasta dinner.

jonathan

jonathan

The tree and ground scenery seems to be dry enough for a few photos.

Two things happened while drying:

I had some green ground foam already on the deck which floated above the dirt. No problem.  And;

A little bit of ballast floated away from the trackwork.  I tried to cover the tracks to keep them dry, but a bit of seepage got through.  Also, not a big deal I think.  Anyway:

DSC_0374 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0373 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0372_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0370_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0369_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Maybe throw in a picnic table and outhouse, then call it done.  :)

Regards,

Jonathan

OLDERTIMER

:) :)marvelous, Jon.  Over the years I've watched you progress from your relatives Varney dockside to
the tutorial on disassembly of the Bachmann 2-8-0 (I have it all saved in a notebook) to your great engine terminal to changing the headlite and the domes on your connies, etc. and am blown away by your vision and skill.  A thought. as mustard seeds and others tend to be blown around by the winds and land and grow in cracks in the rocks, i wonder lf your rock wall might be enhanced by the bits of greenery  here and  there?  Again, great work!  Paul G ;D

jonathan

Thank you, Paul. Very kind of you.

Yes. I intend to add greenery around rock faces. I am out of ground foam, except for some bush-sized stuff and some trees. So I'll have to focus on what I've got right now.

Regards,

Jonathan

Ken Huck

Jonathan,

I live along the Mississippi and this is what it looks like after the flood waters recede.  The trees are
leafed out, but the ground brush having been completed submerged, hasn't come back yet.  What ever dead
fall that didn't drift away simply dropped back to the ground a few feet from where it was lifted by the flood waters.

You nailed it !

Thanks

Ken

jonathan

I have 10 new photos to share.

Continuing with adding rocks, trees (about 100 more), and greenery.

The plaster cloth is starting to disappear.

Adding washes to the rocks as I go along.  They are slowly transitioning from brown to a grayish hue.  One shot shows the top of a mountain which will be rocky.   Still have a few washes (color) to add, but you get the idea.  Enjoy.

Regards,

Jonathan

DSC_0375 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0376_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0378_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0379_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0380_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0384_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0387_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0388_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0390 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

jonathan

Started working on the back of the layout.  I need to put some kind of scenery in the hard-to-reach areas, in order to cover the access holes in the middle of the layout.  Most of these areas are difficult for the casual observer to notice.  In fact, I had to place the camera in some odd areas just to get a few shots:

Finally installed the last of the ballast... lots of fun laying ballast through a tunnel. Anyway, here we go...

Overhead shot of the general area:

DSC_0402_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Now we'll follow the tracks to the background:

DSC_0394_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

I just pressed in some polyfiber and a few of my more pathetic trees.  None of it is glued down.  I may want to change it later:

DSC_0395_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0397_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Still shiny in the tunnel... glue is still wet:

DSC_0398 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

The other side of the the tunnel.  Not much scenery happening here, yet:

DSC_0401_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

It's getting there.  5 feet done -- 11 feet to go.

Regards,

Jonathan

Ken Huck

Looking good Jonathan !  I've been kinda working off-layout projects lately.  When they're
ready to add to my layout, I hope to put up new pics.   Meanwhile, I'll just keep watching
you and Sid.

Thanks,

Ken

WoundedBear

I agree with Ken. It is looking good.

The effort and time spent is starting to really show. As the plywood disappears and the white plaster turns brown, it starts to look more and more like a miniature world.

Keep on with the photos. The more the better. ;D

Sid

Terry Toenges

My back is killing me just looking at the pics and thinking about you leaning over and doing all this work. Looks Great!
Feel like a Mogul.

jonathan

Thanks, gents!

I'm definitely going through some contortions in this area. You'd think I'd learn from Sid's lift-out lessons, but I fail to think that far ahead when I'm into the track laying.  Once this little corner is done, I should have a much easier time with the rest of the scenery.

Actually the middle of the layout will have a 2' X 2' slide-out section to help with track cleaning and rescuing a stray boxcar here and there.  Also, I can sneak into the tunnels from under the mountains, if/when necessary.  Still liking Terry's rolling track idea through my crawl space.  :)

Regards,

Jonathan

Grumpy468

Sensational work. I like the thought process that went into this. Thank you for posting, it has given me some good ideas.