News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Jonathan's Layout #3

Started by jonathan, September 29, 2019, 02:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

How the layout operates:

The 1st tier has a long (16') yard in the front of the layout. It will be 4 tracks wide. Here I can assemble trains. Still need one more crossover and approach to the engine facilities.  From the yard I can run two trains on the main level.  

One can move one train across the end of the yard and crossover to the graded track that leads to the 2nd tier. This will be where the mining and processing takes place. There are two loops to run trains, but I don't yet have a crossover onto the inner loop.  Turnouts and switch machines get pretty pricey after a while.  I'll get there eventually, but I can still run trains for now.  At some point, I'm thinking about a transition to the 3rd tier.  However, I'm already dealing with something approaching a spaghetti bowl, and the transition would be steep with a tight curve, possibly down to 18" radius.  

Right now the 3rd tier is just a high oval that will travel between 2 tall "mountains". It's sturdy enough to run large locos, but I'll probably run my small trains up there--0-6-0s and ore cars.  We'll see how that looks.

Electrical:

Yes, I'm to that stage right now.  Spending most of my time under the layout, wiring up feeders, switch machines, and running a bus wire for signals, lights, and the like.  My fingers are getting a little chewed up from all the soldering and track work.  A few days ago, I accidently grabbed the metal part of my soldering iron, instead of the handle. Fun. Looking forward to being done underneath. Just part of the gig. It's a good thing I like trains so much.  :)

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

Update:

Completed wiring the tracks, turnouts, and toggle switches.  Time to pull out the trains and give everything a workout. Need to see what's working and look for things that need fixing.  My trains sat in storage for over two months, while I moved into this house.

Under the layout, I bundled the trackwork wires and ran some 18 gauge wire for lighting. The black and white wires, that run separately, are for lighting:

DSC_0181 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

The only locomotive that does not run is my USRA 2-6-6-2, converted to a KK-4b:

DSC_0188 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

It lights but won't move.  When I bought it, one of the motor wires was loose, and I repaired it.  I'm pretty confident the same problem has popped up. I should be able to get it going again, without too much effort.  

Everything else seems OK.  A couple footboards and air hoses have broken off, but those are easy fixes.

I took a few shots after I ran some trains, so you can see the latest progress:

DSC_0198 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0197 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0195 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0194_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0193 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0191 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0190_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0189_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0186_02 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0185_02 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0184_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0183 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Next is planning the fascia for the benchwork.  I'm using the same material for the control panel. So, I have to get to that step next.  Need to mount and label all the toggle switches.

Enjoy.

Regards,

Jonathan

WoundedBear

I like your steamer weathering!

Sid

Ken Huck

UNBELIEVABLE ! ! !   It looks a lot bigger with locos and rolling stock. 
I am amazed ! !

Ken

jonathan

Thanks, Sid. Thanks Ken.  It's coming along...

Oh, I got this little guy running:

DSC_0200 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Just didn't have one of the connector plugs seated securely.  Happens to everyone... well that's what I keep telling myself.  :)

Regards,

Jonathan

Len

Did engineering certify that trestle to hancle such a monster??

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jonathan

The railroad has received a warning to keep panda bears away from the bents!

(cause they're bamboo, ya know)

;D

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

Wired up some signals today.

Here is an old Bachmann signal bridge.  I am stringing wires and resistors.  Will shop for some signal heads at the next train show in February:

DSC_0207 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

I've also installed 5 signals onto the layout.  They are wired, but I just didn't feel like getting under the layout with a soldering iron today--so, I'll solder everything when I'm in the mood.  Anyway, here are a few shots:

DSC_0204_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0203_02 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

A Bachmann signal bridge I've already played with:
DSC_0202 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0201 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

The signals all face the same direction, which is towards the layout control seat (I am the "Chief" Engineer after-all). 

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

Update:

I'm trying to get the electrical portion of the layout DONE, as much as possible.  I don't enjoy getting under the layout and soldering wires.  Seems like it will never end.

I'm installing as many of my structures as possible.  These are structures leftover from my last two layouts.  Some of you may remember a few of them:

DSC_0215 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0214 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0213_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0210_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0209_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0208_02 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

I'm really itching to get to the landscaping portion.  Can't wait to create mountains and hillsides.  Just a few more things to take care of, first.

Regards,

Jonathan

Ken Huck

I like the weathering on the coal mine a lot.  I was wondering, is that a kit-bash of two kits ?
You did a great job on it and it really looks nice.

Thanks for the pics and keep it up.

Ken

jonathan

Thanks, Ken.

That is one kit... I believe it was one of those Walthers Cornerstone kits--can't remember what it was called. Built it a long time ago.  Sprayed it all over with dullcote and just kept adding weathering powders.  Lights are some LEDs and some SMDs (outside lamps which are scratchbuilt).

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

I couldn't stand it any longer.  Had to start defining the topography.

I have lots of boxes leftover from my recent move. So a box knife and some hot glue got me started on this project.

Still have a ways to go, but the monotony of placing cardboard strips forced me to take a break, vacuum the layout, and take a few photos.  Then it's off to clean my gutters.  :)

Enjoy:

DSC_0216_03 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0218_02 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0220_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0221_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0224_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

At some point, I will have to get very clever... I need the access holes in the middle of the layout, but also need some scenery in the middle.  Gonna get interesting.

Regards,

Jonathan

WoundedBear

You move fast buddy. Don't take much cardboard to bring about a major change. I'm starting to see your vision.

Sid

Ken Huck

WOW...WOW WOW WOW...!!!  What a difference !  Now I'm gonna stay awake the rest of the night.
Loving it.  Really leads the imagination on and on and on.....

Thanks.

Ken

jonathan

Thanks guys.

I kinda hit the end point of my vision and imagination.  Now I need to bring it together.  Gotten to the 'making it up as I go' phase.

Regards,

Jonathan