News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Jonathan's Layout #3

Started by jonathan, September 29, 2019, 02:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

OK, it has been a while since my last update.  Threw my back out a few weeks ago, and I'm just healed enough where I can move, more or less, normally.

So...

Went to Hobby Lobby and bought all the plaster cloth they had.  Thought I had a lot. It was enough to make a dent, but I still have some work to do on my mountains.  Here is what I finished so far:

DSC_0225_03 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0228_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0229_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

I started building up the last bridge I needed.  It's a bit slapped together with some old girder panels and abutments I had in the junk box.  Once I put in some footings and build up scenery around it, it'll be good enough for me:

DSC_0230 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0233 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

That's all for now.  Gonna take some aspirin and watch a little football the rest of the day. Recovery you know  ;)  

Regards,

Jonathan

Ken Huck

Sweet !  That trestle really looks like it belongs there now.  I like the way the through truss bridge in the back
is 'framed' between the two mountains, it adds a lot of depth.

Keep 'em comin'.

Ken

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.

Woody Elmore

Hi Jon - this is Woody -- I've been ill and haven't kept up with this board. Your new layout is super. The trestle is, as my graduate students would say, AMAZING! Looks like you cornered the market of ore cars.

Keep up the great work.

jonathan

Thanks Woody!

Great to hear from you.  I do like those little cars for some reason.

Hope you're feeling better.  Went thru a long bout of illness myself.

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

Those of us, of a certain age, remember Malcolm Furlow (sp), who would instruct we young modelers to break up our layouts into little vignettes/scenes and work on one little story at a time... so we wouldn't be overwhelmed by trying to scenic our layouts all at once.

In that vein, I am working on one corner of my layout, which might really entail 3 scenes at at same time.

I broke out some scenery materials:
DSC_0246_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

And went to town on my corner.  The glue is still drying all over, but I'll share some shots.  Here's a long shot of the corner in progress:
DSC_0244 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

The tunnel portal is some foam molded thing I picked up cheap at the last train show.  I started with basic gray and dry-brushed various colors, finishing with white highlights and some weathering powders:
DSC_0241_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

For the basic color of the landform, I mixed equal amounts of brown, gray, and white.  Was going for something very neutral.  Then I spread some matte medium around and sprinkled on ground foam for the hills, and a gravel mix for the parking area:
DSC_0240 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

The ballast is light gray. I mixed fine and medium ballast together before spreading:
DSC_0238 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0236_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0235 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Regards,

Jonathan

Ton N

Nice.
Even here in the Netherlands, Malcolm Furlow was a big inspiration to me with his articles in the MR.

Ton

WoundedBear

Coming along nicely Jon. Once the white plaster goes away, things really shape up.

I have been doing a little scenery also, and doing just what you are. I am starting in the furthest. Hardest to reach corners and working out in little bits. Photos to come.

Siding

Ken Huck

This just keeps getting better and better.  .  .  !  !

Ken

jonathan

Thanks, guys!

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

A little more progress on the layout:

DSC_0256 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

My project steps are:  Landscape, ground foam, then ballast.

DSC_0254 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

I plan to add the fascia prior to superdetailing the scenery: cliffs/rocks, trees, bushes, people, ...etc.

DSC_0253_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Some more pics... enjoy:

DSC_0252_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0251 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0250 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0249_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0248_02 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0247_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Regards,

Jonathan

Ken Huck

You had me going into withdrawals for a while...thanks for the fix.  It's really starting to fill in nicely.
I like that sanding facility you have there.  And of course...STEAM !

Off-hand:  Do you run any 'Brass' ?  I've got a few geared loco's besides my Backmann Shays and Climaxes.

Thanks for posting,

Ken

jonathan

Thanks Ken.

And, yes, I have 6 brass pieces.  They run fairly well.  I will put them on the layout, occasionally, AFTER I'm sure the layout is clean and operating smoothly. My Big Six (S-1a, 2-10-2) is my darling of the bunch.

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

We seem to have a little extra time at home these days.  So working on a layout in the basement seems to be a safe move.  :)

I have cleaned myself out of plaster cloth, ground foam, and ballast.  Spent a great deal of time weathering rails... mind-numbing stuff.

Here are some photos of the latest progress.  As I get more details, I'll start getting closer with the camera.  BTW, here's a little something I put on my truck, just to let everyone know how cool I am:

DSC_0258 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

This is where I ran out of ballast.  Only had 3 feet left on the mainline.  The upper tier is ballasted all around.

DSC_0259 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0260 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0261 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0262_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Here at the back of the layout, I plan to put in a tunnel for the double-track.  Then I can bring that last mountain all the way to the backdrop:

DSC_0264 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

This is going to be a very, very cool scene when it's completed:

DSC_0265_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0266_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Watch-out for stormtroopers!

DSC_0267 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0268 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

This will be another cool shot... someday:

DSC_0269_02 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

TTFN

Regards,

Jonathan

WoundedBear

I like the receiver plug! My tow rig needs one of those.

Sid

The rest of the layout is looking good too ;D