News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Jonathan's Layout #3

Started by jonathan, September 29, 2019, 02:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

Still working on the back of the layout.  Not my favorite, but it's necessary.

Putting in a grove of trees in the middle of the Wye.

Stuffing some polyfiber between the benchwork and the backdrop.

A little a ballast and groundfoam will finish it off:

DSC_0430_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

I will have to get some tall tree armatures for the middle of the grove.  All I have left is about 200 small trees.

From the front of the layout:

DSC_0429_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

I'm also using any excuse to do something other than scenery right now.  

Took some old brass track and a scrap of plywood, to make a locomotive cleaning station for my workbench:

DSC_0424 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Soldering on brass is a bit more challenging than nickel silver.

Put a coupler guage on one end of the track.  Had to cut a gap to avoid shorts:

DSC_0426_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Cleaning loco wheels seems more entertaining than scenery right now. :)

Regards,

Jonathan

Terry Toenges

Is that bridge track an issue? It looks a little distorted.
Feel like a Mogul.

jonathan

Terry,

Not an issue.  The Atlas bridge has extra space where the track is mounted.  The only way to avoid the track shifting is to put in some shims. I may get around to that someday.  For now, the trains have no trouble negotiating the bridge.  That bridge is 18" long.  It just looks drastic from that angle.

Thanks for asking, though.  ;)

Regards,

Jonathan

WoundedBear

I like the cleaning station. Great idea.

I find myself in the same situation as you right now with scenery. I have to get the furthest corners completed first before I can start on the easier areas to reach. It's a pain, but it has to get done in order. If not, you find yourself knocking things over as you try to reach over and past them.

Sid

jonathan

Exactly so.

Not much fun. I'm in procrastinate mode.  ;D

Regards,

Jonathan

Grumpy468

I know what you mean Jonathan, i was scared to try landscaping, but once i got going, my brain kicked in the same way it does when i start a building. I really like your layout, i am getting ideas from you , i need to not be afraid to add trees in large groups.

OLDERTIMER

Hi Jonathan,  you've talked about running out of supplies, and I'm wondering if you've considered ordering on line?  I've gotten two orders from Micro Mark in the last few months and we've ordered other things as well.  Sometimes delivery has been slow at times but we always get what we order.  Just saying, P' :)

jonathan

Yessir. I have been forced to perform some online shopping of late. Hobby Lobby has an extremely limited selection of scenery supplies. Train shows aren't happening right now. I'm just an old coot who hates shopping on a computer.

Regards,

Jonathan

Grumpy468

Shopping online can be very frustrating at times. I placed an order with Tony's train exchange, to which there are cricket's chirping in the background. No reply by phone or email? The voicemail says they are working remotely? I have ordered a ton of stuff from a hobby store in Edmonton and across Canada. and dip into the USA when stuff isn't available here.

I tried to support our local hobby store, but he isn't too interested in bringing anything in train wise?  I like the days of cash and carry.

jonathan

Just returned from a trip to Minnesota. 

So... I'm not a car guy, but I did shoot some shots of my Dad's projects, which were the inspiration for some of my modeling.

I put some John Deere B series tractors in my last layout, and will add them to this layout:

DSC_0503 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Wanted to add them because my dad restores JD tractors. Here's one from the garage.  Pulled it out, gave my son a few quick driving lessons and he was off to the races:

DSC_0446 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

I also have a Model A Tudor on my layout:

31 Model A by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Here is the inspiration for that.  Dad's working on a restoration of his first car.  It runs pretty well now.  The body and the interior need some work, but it's road worthy... If you're strong:

DSC_0448_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0451 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

I helped very little on these.  I'm a good fetch and hand-over guy.  Noticed some of you are car guys.  Thought you might like 'em.

Took a nice route through VA, WV, PA, and OH heading to the Midwest.  Reminds me why I like trees and hills for my own layout.  However, my light gray ballast looks more correct for the Midwest. 

Anyway, 'nuff rambling for today.

Regards,

Jonathan

Terry Toenges

I wouldn't mind having a Model A. It looks like it is not too bad shape.
Feel like a Mogul.

Ken Huck

Love them older JD's.  Had a friend down here that restored Olivers.
He passed several years ago and his son took over the hobby.  At
the last count he had a dozen or more.

Thanks for the pics.

Ken

WoundedBear

That Model A is one to kill for. So many ideas when I look at it. That's gotta be a ton of fun just as a stock unit.

Glad you're back....was kinda wondering where ya went.

Sid

OLDERTIMER

I had the same feeling about ordering online as you do Jonathan but having to order our groceries that way all summer has made it seem easy.  Now my wife has to watch me like a hawk to keep me from ordering thousand dollar locomotives, or other frivolous things.  Glad you're back, Paul :)

jonathan

Thanks, Paul!

OK... I have a big hole in the middle of my layout, for accessing trackwork and so on.  Thus, I need a removable scenery piece, like the cool stuff Sid has shown us.

I've never made a water feature, and this was a good time to try.  If it doesn't work, I can just start over.

Anyway, I constructed a box that will slide into place like a shelf or a drawer. I lined it with plaster cloth, then a healthy amount of plaster, paint, ground foam and dirt:

DSC_0455_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Was trying to fill in the bottom with black and blending into brown.  Hoping it will be highly reflective when through. A little closer:

DSC_0454_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

I couldn't find any of that magic water, or instant water stuff.  So I used a resin kit used for the top of coffee tables and the like.  Here it is freshly poured:

DSC_0457_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0458 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

I'm having a few bubble issues.  I'm using a needle, dipped in alcohol to pop them.  It seems to be working so far.

After it cures (24-48 hours), I'll put the "Drainage Pond" in place to show its place in the layout.

Regards,

Jonathan