News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Jonathan's Layout #3

Started by jonathan, September 29, 2019, 02:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grumpy468

Growing up in a rural community and on my Uncles farm i have a soft spot for tractors. Digging the old hot rod too.

Gearedenginefreak

For eliminating bubbles in that resin, first pour thin coats. You can add layers.
But bubbles happen. Use a straw and blow across the bubbles through the straw. I also used a hair dryer on low and cool with success when I was pouring that stuff to cover a vanity cabinet converted from an old hutch.

As always, your layout looks great.

Tom

WoundedBear

I have had luck with a method taught to me by a guy that has owned a fiberglass shop for 40 years.

A simple propane torch. Wave the tip of the flame quickly over the resin surface and bubbles disappear instantly. Im sure there are YouTube videos about it too.

No kidding.....use a flame.

Sid

jonathan

Thanks, Sid and Tom.  Getting some great advice about this goo.  I learn a lot, just be doing something for the first time.

The next time I pour resin for water, I'll definitely do it in layers.  This stuff is taking forever to set up.  It's been 48 hours and the edges are hard, but the middle is still tacky.  I should have expected that, since the resin is nearly a half-inch thick in the middle. 

I'll give it a few more days. I may have to chop out this pond and try again.  I wonder if I can just pour another layer right over this one.  That would be madness I'm sure.

Regards,

Jonathan

Len

Half inch thick?? Wow! Maybe I'm 'old school', but when I first learned to do "water" on a layout, I was told to do it in layers no more than 1/8" thick in one shot if I needed 'deep' water. These days, for ponds and such, I often just use a very thin coat of clear acrylic floor wax over an area painted to give the illusion of depth.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jonathan

I'll definitely know better next time.

I felt the need to make the water in one pour to achieve the effect I was after.  I know now I could get the same effect in two or three pours.

Here is a 3"X3" section that is cured already. Don't know if the camera angle picks it up, but I wanted the shore line to be visible underwater for the first few scale feet before it disappeared under the depth of the water:

DSC_0462 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

It's the middle of the pond that's giving me grief.  I'll leave it sit for a few more days to see if it's worth using.

Regards,

Jonathan

Gearedenginefreak

I had forgotten about the propane torch trick. Yes it works too and I have done it. Just dont leave it over the area very long. I used to remember things like that better than I do now.  Good to be reminded.

Tom

jonathan

I'm trying this a second time.  Hope it works.

I dug out the resin that never cured, then started over from the plaster process.  Laid down a good portion of plaster, let it dry, then sanded it smooth:

DSC_0463 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Painted three coats of black paint. Created a new beachhead. Let that dry overnight. Added a "sealer" of dullcote, and let it sit for a couple days. Still drying in this shot:

DSC_0466 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

I followed the instructions quite thoroughly, for pouring this batch of resin. I'm trying 6 oz. of resin for the first pour:

DSC_0468_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

This coat is so thin, it's having a tough time reaching the edge of the whole beach.  In the lower left edge of this photo you can see the goo slowly creeping across to the beach:

DSC_0467 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

I used the exhaling straw method for removing bubbles.  Had a torch standing by, but the straw worked quite well.  Felt safer, too.  ;D

I'm planning 5 total pours.  Each pour will be like a chemistry test.  Hope I get an "A."

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

First, let me say thanks, to you gentlemen who offered some great advice on the "water" resin project.  It was worth giving this a second try.

I finished with four pours.  The first three layers hardened up quite nicely. I added each layer after 12 hours, per the instructions in the box.  I'm a little nervous because my final pour was around 11 oz., instead of the 6 oz. on the first three layers.  I'll know if it was a total success after 72 hours.  For now, the last layer seems to be setting up just like the first three... fingers crossed.

I threw in some extra greenery and a temporary backdrop to enhance the photos.  So, three angles:

DSC_0469 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0470 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0471 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Watching it dry.  I ain't gonna sleep much for a few days.  ;D

Regards,

Jonathan

WoundedBear

The quality of the reflections shows just how flat of a pour you achieved. Nice.

Sid

Terry Toenges

I agree with Sid. It looks like a mirror.
Feel like a Mogul.

jonathan

Thanks, Sid.  Thanks, Terry.

Still looking good (hardening) after 16 hours. 56 to go.

Mirror effect is what I'm after.  I want the water to reflect whatever color surrounds it.  However, if I'd had a boat or some HO scale fish...  ;)

Regards,

Jonathan

ebtnut

Jonathon:  Looks real good.  Keep up the great work. 

Grumpy468

Very Nice mirror finish, i like the shoreline seeing the depth as it goes inward.

jonathan

Thanks, ebt and sheldon.

OK, the pond has cured for 4 days now.  Feels like a table top. Hope it's done. 

Added a few more details before testing it on the layout.  Notice the Osprey on the left tree:

DSC_0474_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

OK, it's really a pigeon.

Here are a couple of aerial shots, so you can see the seams... which need to find a way to hide eventually.  The pond scene slides into the center of the layout like a drawer:

DSC_0480 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Gathers orts and dust as I install (joy):

DSC_0482 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Now some ground shots:

DSC_0484 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0485 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0486 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Finally, all the benchwork is covered.  Now it's down to scenery:  trees, rocks, figures... etc.  Shouldn't take more than the rest of my life.  :)

DSC_0489 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0491 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Regards,

Jonathan