News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Jonathan's Layout #3

Started by jonathan, September 29, 2019, 02:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grumpy468

That is incredible. I like your trees. the telephone poles look spot on as well.
We Are What Your Mother Warned you about.

jonathan

Thanks, Sheldon!

Regards,

Jonathan

russ daley

I really enjoyed reviewing your entire thread of the progress and work on your layout...it brought back memories of when I basically did the bulk of mine from 2003 through 2006. Memories of many weekend mornings of getting up early...crabbing a cup of coffee...get a good western on TV and just do it..... 
Very nice Jonathan.....

One side note...my layout is a 12' x 26' wrap around against the wall with a duck under entrance. I was unsuccessful in making a hinged lift up. Well 18 years ago I didn't mind the ducking as I sometimes do now...but I have learned to limit the under travel....good old bones...

jonathan

Thanks Russ!

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

Update:

There is a lot of leftover equipment from my last two layouts. Really want to use all that stuff. So...

I've added 6 feet to the end of the layout, taking it all the way to the far wall (26' total length now). 

This is a bit of a rough draft, while I play with track placement.  The turntable and approach track are set in stone.  Everything else is tinkering:

DSC_0520_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0521_02 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

There will be a roundhouse (6-9 stalls), and I have to figure the best way to connect the yard in the background. I'll need a caboose track, as well.

The main work, now, is adjusting the turnout for the approach track.  The only way to connect was to a branchline that travels down a 2% grade:

DSC_0522_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

I've pulled through a small cut of boxcars successfully:

DSC_0523_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

The worry is the transition from the downgrade to level, which starts to occur right at the end of the turnout.  I haven't run a locomotive through the turnout, yet.  Still need to wire the frog and add a couple of feeder wires for the turnout--for good continuity:

DSC_0524_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Hopefully, I haven't unwittingly warped the turnout.  That could lead to headaches.  :)

Regards,

Jonathan

Ken Huck

I really enjoy the way everything is coming along, Jon.  Keep up  the good work.
And remember: You can NEVER put up too many pictures.

Thanks.

Ken

jonathan

Thanks Ken.

I do have to be mindful of the photos.  Only have room for 400 more pics, before flickr starts to charge me.  ;D

Regards,

Jonathan

jward

Quote from: jonathan on February 07, 2021, 09:06:46 AM

DSC_0524_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Hopefully, I haven't unwittingly warped the turnout.  That could lead to headaches.  :)

Regards,

Jonathan

Personally, I'd be more concerned with that apparent twist in the track just before the switch. You can see it in the photos. Your grade transition looks fine to me.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ebtnut

Jonathon:  That's really shaping up!  I agree with the concept, at least for eastern railroading, of trains dipping in and out of the forest. 

jonathan

jward,

It pays to take pictures.  I see what you're talking about.  Thanks for showing me. Up close, in person, it looks more like a hump on the outside rail.  I'll have to deal with that while I'm wiring up the turnout.  Again, many thanks.

ebt,

Thanks.  Trains appearing out of the trees, or from behind a hill, or industry.... that was a memory of mine. 

I also remember out west, one could match speed with a train and keep it in sight for along time.

Regards,

Jonathan

OLDERTIMER

It truly looks great Jon,Paul G.

jonathan

Thanks, Paul!

I get a jolt whenever I see your name.  My brother is "Paul G"(MI).

Regards,

Jonathan

jward

Quote from: jonathan on February 08, 2021, 06:25:28 AM

ebt,

Thanks.  Trains appearing out of the trees, or from behind a hill, or industry.... that was a memory of mine. 

I also remember out west, one could match speed with a train and keep it in sight for along time.

Regards,

Jonathan

Honestly, that particular scene reminds me of Tunnelton, WV on the actual B&O.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jonathan

I'm at a stopping point.  Next step is to get under the layout for a while.  So... time to take a break, and snap a few photos to share.

Here are a few overview pics to show the final track plan.  I particularly like the giant question mark that leads to the caboose track:

DSC_0525_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0526_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Looks like there will be room for a 9-stall roundhouse:

DSC_0527 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

The yard tracks are some really, REALLY old brass track I had stuffed away in a box.  I cleaned it up as much as possible, and made a lot of track feeders.  The rail-joint feeders are installed on nearly every joint.  Hopefully, I'll be able to maintain some kind of continuity:

DSC_0528 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Most of the partially-constructed roundhouse is painted white:

DSC_0531_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

I intend to weather the exterior heavily.  Thought the white might look nice when it's really dirty.  Plus,  whatever interior lighting I make will be helped by the reflective interior.

Fun shot:

DSC_0532_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Finally, this is a small control panel I incorporated into my fascia:

DSC_0534_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

I intend to have the turntable switch and stall track switches mounted in that area.

Regards,

Jonathan

Addendum:  I WILL be using good quality track for the roundhouse.  'nuff said.

jonathan

Update:

I'm about to spend a very long time under the layout, wiring stall tracks and lighting (fun).  There won't be much to show for a while.  However: here's a couple of shots up top.

The roundhouse is getting close to completion. Gotta add the window glazing and put up some lights:

DSC_0535_02 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

I built this on a very flat surface.  The benchwork is not as flat. So, I had to compensate. Oh well. That's what scenery is for:

DSC_0536 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

There are other little structures going up around the roundhouse:

DSC_0537_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Innards a bit more visible here:

DSC_0538 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

I know my background hills aren't supposed to be cobalt blue.  :)  I'm playing with colors right now, to see what works.  Tough job for a color blind guy:

DSC_0539_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Once everything is wired up, and I can move locos in the roundhouse, I'll post some photos.  Could be a while...

Regards,

Jonathan