Jonathan's Layout #3

Started by jonathan, September 29, 2019, 02:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Toenges

It looks great so far. I love it!
Feel like a Mogul.

jonathan

Thanks, Terry.

Started crawling under the layout.  Procrastinating on the stall tracks, but I did play with some lighting, just to get started.

Almost out of warm/white LEDs. Still have a gross of blue/white. Decided to use some blue/whites in the roundhouse:

DSC_0540_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

I wired these in parallel. It's more work, but I think it will be easier to correct a problem in the long run:

DSC_0541 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

A few structures got wired up, too:

DSC_0544 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

OK. Gotta Psych myself up to start wiring stall tracks.  There are 12 of 'em and each one has an on/off switch.  Lots of wires to string back an forth.  No fun holding a soldering iron over your head and keeping it steady.  Alright, positive thoughts...

Regards,

Jonathan

Ken Huck

Amazing !  Lights make all the difference.  If you ever get a whole bunch of buildings, or and
apartment building, consider using Christmas tree lights. 

Thanks for the pics.

Ken

jonathan

Thanks, Ken.

A long time ago,  I ordered A LOT of LEDs and resistors from China--dirt cheap.  Two layouts later, and I still have some.  There's 27 resistors left, perhaps a dozen warm/white LEDs and a bunch of blue/white.  Used up all the SMDs.  Was the most economical way to do lights... albeit a bit labor intensive.

Regards,

Jonathan

Grumpy468

Very nice wiring skills, nice and clean. What does it look like at night?
We Are What Your Mother Warned you about.

jonathan

Thanks!

Sheldon,

Not ready for night shots, yet.

The end of the layout is against the basement back door, and it's daylight out:

DSC_0549 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Also, taking advantage of the daylight to work on wiring under the layout.  I've got some lights, and all the stall tracks wired.  I like the cacophony of wiring that appears when working around a roundhouse:

DSC_0550 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Making progress on the control panel:

DSC_0551 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Making good progress on the area.  It will take a while longer.  As soon as I get all the lights working, I'll make a night shot.

For now here's a few more shots:

DSC_0548_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0547_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0546_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Regards,

Jonathan

OLDERTIMER

WOW!!...  All those locos peering of those stalls!  Looks wonderful, Jon, Paul :D :D

Grumpy468

Wow that looks nice. Intense and tedious, i love it.

jonathan

Thanks, Gents!

Regards,

Jonathan

RAM

Well I started to say, great you put the locomotives in the roundhouse right, but then I went on down.  Oh well 50% what the heck.

jonathan

Yes. Yes. I know.  It's just that I spent so much time on the front of my locomotives; jewels in class lights and so on--I like looking at 'em.  ;D

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

Preliminary night shots:

DSC_0558 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0557_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0556 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0555 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

The roof isn't secured to the roundhouse right now, but:

DSC_0554_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

Little burned out on modeling. Time to take a break and do some assessment with some photos.

Putting in a chain link fence behind the roundhouse, to separate the edge of a town.

I soldered some 0.025 phosphor bronze wire together for a frame:

DSC_0559_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Added the tool (sp?):

DSC_0560 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Then a little paint and rust--then planted the fence.  The gates swing open. I'll put some sort of backdrop behind the "edge of town" structures, to represent a town of some kind:

DSC_0540_02 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

I had a lot of leftover ballast, of a few colors and sizes... which I put down up to the level of the ties.  I then covered that with brown ballast up on the rails, as high as I thought reasonable for running model trains.  Here, you can see the leftover ballast:

DSC_0549_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Building a laser cut yard office:

DSC_0537_02 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Installed some more fascia.  I'm using a really old Bachmann controller to power the turntable.  The Spectrum controller runs the stall tracks:

DSC_0536_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

And a few shots of other stuff:

DSC_0550_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0548_02 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0547_02 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0545_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0544_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0538_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Regards,

Jonathan

Grumpy468

Love the fence idea. What are you using as mesh for the chainlink? Also your lites look amazing.

Ken Huck

Those night shots are fantastic !  Kind of forget it's 1/87 scale.
I would've never thought of using tulle (asked my wife how to spell) for the chain link.
Do you go to your local dress shop to buy the stuff or what ?  I used regular 'screen'
material once, but it's a little out of scale for HO.

Thanks for all the pics.

Ken