News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

replace valve gear 4-8-4 Overland

Started by kirkifer, November 23, 2019, 08:06:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kirkifer

I have finally worn out my Overland 4-8-4. It wants to bind because the slide rods on the valve gear have broken. There is a replacement part that appears to be connected to the main drive wheel with a hex head screw.

The questions:

1) Is this a screw or some kind of pin on the main drive wheel?

2) If this is a screw, what is the size of hex head? It seems like 2mm, but I am not exactly sure. It is soft metal and I only have so many chances before the hex head gets rounded and impossible to get off.

Trainman203

Replacement locomotive.  That's today's model railroad world.  Complete and constant availability of parts was in the days of yore.

kirkifer

Dear Bach Man...

Trainman 203 is probably correct, but please don't listen to him. Part of my fun with this hobby is kitbashing, modifying and repairing stuff. Your Acela stuff is stupid expensive on popular auction sites. Unfortunately, there are parts that break and without parts being available, my Acela would be complete junk.

Now, maybe, the Bach Man can tell me how to get that valve gear assembly off of the locomotive?

Oh yeah, since it is painted in UP but styled after an NYC Niagra, Why can I not get the appropriate elephant ears as a separate part? Your job is probably secure, but searching for Bachmann threads might help solidify and fill in any holes. Many people want a set of elephant ears to make this locomotive into a proper model.

Trainman203

If kit bashing, modifying, and repairing is your niche in model railroading, removing valve gear and making a set of elephant ear smoke lifters ought to be a snap.