News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Railfan HO wiring diagram

Started by Decembertwenty, October 07, 2019, 06:47:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decembertwenty

I'm replacing the power wires between the locomotive and tender on my railfan #4449.  I've bought a new 8 pin connector unit and need to know where each wire attaches in the tender.  Any help is appreciated. 
Thanks. Paul

rich1998

No idea what the railfan is but I have some Bachmann steamers.
Bachmann sells both the connector assemblies.
I had to replace a set about ten years ago.
The two pin is for driver pickups from the loco and the four pin is for motor power and headlight power.
Follow the NMRA DCC wiring plan. Only seven wires for basic DCC.
Some years ago a few posted photos of their steamer wiring in the HO forum but you would gave to search the forum.
Bachmann does not use NMRA wire colors or post wiring diagrams. You might get an idea in a diagram page where you see they eight pin socket. I think they show the wire color at the socket.

My locos are packed away.

Good luck.

rich1998

Ok. I see what the loco is. Assuming DCC ready.
All my DCC ready had the PC boards marked with labels. I did one wire at a time.
Remove the caps marked with a C prefix. The two green hH Ferrite inductors with a L are a moot point. Zero resistance. Some think they are resistors. That tuned circuit can affect BEMF.
There should be a resistor for the LED. If not, I used a 1k, 1/8 watt that allows 9 ma. Very low wattage.
Someone gave me a Radio Shack experimenters kit years ago with with a lot of 1/8 watt resistors.
I have been in electronics for many years so I know the limitations. Some insist on 1/4 watt. Your choice.
Use the program track First to protect the decoder.

Rich