Bachmann 5 amp power booster with Bachmann automatic reversing loop module

Started by Opa, October 09, 2019, 01:26:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opa

I have been using the standard 1 amp EZ command control center for some time and recently upgraded to add the 5 amp power booster to my layout so that I could add more locomotives.  I didn't have a problem with the reversing loop module and the 1 amp system but now with the 5 amp booster my DCC locomotives hesitate for approximately 1 second when entering or exiting the loop when the reversing loop module activates.  it appears that the 5 amp booster sees a short and cuts off power due to an over load before the reversing loop module can respond. I have set the control on the reversing loop module to the maximum 10 amps but that hasn't helped. The reversing loop module is connected to the track using the 18 gage wire supplied with the module. There appears to be an incompatibility between these two Bachmann products. Is there a way to increase the response time of the reversing loop module or decrease the response time of the 5 amp booster? Would increasing the gage of the wire connecting the reversing loop module help?  

Opa

I talked with the expert from Bachmann (Mike) after not receiving any input from the forum for 10 days. At first he didn't know this but he did some research with the Bachmann design engineer (Larry) and it was determined that there is an incompatibility with the Bachmann 5 amp booster and the Bachmann reversing loop module.  The reversing loop module does not switch the polarity fast enough to keep the 5 amp booster from turning the power off.  Increasing the wire gage had no impact.  Hopefully, Bachmann will improve the reversing loop module to increase the speed of the switch but until that happens, I will be looking for another reversing loop module. 

Terry Toenges

I wonder if it is just Bachmann's power supply or does it do that with others. I have reverse loop modules that I haven't used yet. I will be using a different brand power supply when I start putting it all together.
Feel like a Mogul.

WoundedBear

Flare

Quote from: Terry Toenges on October 22, 2019, 01:28:48 PM
I wonder if it is just Bachmann's power supply or does it do that with others. I have reverse loop modules that I haven't used yet. I will be using a different brand power supply when I start putting it all together.

I don't recall having that issue back when I used a 4-amp 16v AC power supply with my EZ-Command.

I could be mistaken though, I didn't really like EZ-Command and switched to NCE shortly after.